Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > El Cheapo Digital Thermo from TJ Maxx...works!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default El Cheapo Digital Thermo from TJ Maxx...works!

Well, I saw this $30 Polder digital thermo/timer at TJ maxx (I was there because wifey asked me to find some utensil, not because I shop there. I actually despise the place) a few weeks back for $16. It's one of those dealies with the home unit and a sheathed cord ending in a stainless probe. They say not to submerse the point where the probe meets the cord. I got it for the mash temps, and I finally had a chance to try it out last weekend. It actually works great. What I did was hang the half-U-shaped probe over the side of the tun so that the end was in the mash. Then I just put the lid on, and it held it in place. I then had realtime mash temps. Sweet! And having a timer on it is very nice...all in one unit! I was skeptical, given the price, but I tested it with my other thermometer, and it's accurate. I just have to be careful so as to not get the probe connection submersed.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
... (I was there because wifey asked me to find some utensil, not because I shop there. I actually despise the place)...
SURE... 'cause when I want to buy a partiuclar utensil, I never go to Target or Linens + Things - I hit up the Maxx...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Actually, Polder makes some fairly good kitchen equipment. I have the digital kitchen scale and it is pretty good. I also have a small digital thermometer for the kitchen.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
SURE... 'cause when I want to buy a partiuclar utensil, I never go to Target or Linens + Things - I hit up the Maxx...
Hehe, right, I know. Actually she was looking for something on the cheap, and we happened to be in the same shopping center. Man, that store is almost as depressing as Marshalls.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-26-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Hehe, right, I know. Actually she was looking for something on the cheap, and we happened to be in the same shopping center. Man, that store is almost as depressing as Marshalls.
You know Marshall's is owned by TJ Maxx, right?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just a heads up, they say not to get the cable wet and that includes steam. I've had mine go haywire on me so many times I gave up on it.

If it does lock up on you put the probe in the oven @160 degrees for about 15 minutes...

Old 02-27-2007, 03:42 AM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Silicone tubing over the wire and onto the first 2" of probe. Fill the silicone with keg lube just in case. #60 O-ring under or over the tubing at the probe. I'll take a pic when i get a chance. I had this thing submerged in a rolling boil for an hour and no leaks.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-27-2007, 05:17 AM   #8
aseelye
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash
Just a heads up, they say not to get the cable wet and that includes steam. I've had mine go haywire on me so many times I gave up on it.

If it does lock up on you put the probe in the oven @160 degrees for about 15 minutes...
If by haywire you mean starts reading 50-150 degrees high, then I've only seen that 3 times in a row. I got some NIST certified waterproof thermometer recommended here a while back, I'll try it out next time. Better work, it cost $50 after shipping, but I was tired of broken thermometers 30 mins into the mash.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

So what's a good cheap thermometer to use? I'm using an extremely cheap piece o' crap right now and I should probably upgrade for AG brewing. Any reasonably-priced recommendations?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I got mine at Target for $17 and the silicone tubing from Petsmart $3. I already had the keg lube and O-ring.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply