Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ebulliometer Question for beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
deavir
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ebulliometer Question for beer

I am purely a Beer brewer but I got my hands on an Ebulliometer. The Dujardin-Salleron Alcohol Burner style one. Wondering if one: this worked with beer like wine (not sure why it wouldn't) and two: also missing the calculation disc so is there an excel sheet or just an equation for that calculation? The disc replacements are $40ish, which seems silly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
StMarcos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You boil some water first and measure the boiling temperature. This accounts for the atmospheric pressure. The disk allows you to compute the ethanol% of your samples with this information in mind. Be sure to rinse the chamber with some sample before adding the full volume. Not sure how much the residual sugar in beer would alter the boiling points. Try a few commercial examples (sierra?) to see how well it works for beer. You do need to account for the atmospheric pressure. A few tenths of a degree off and the ethanol% can be off by as much as a %. Google up an ethanol water phase diagram and zoom in on the region of interest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply