Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Easiest way to sanitize carboys...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 02:17 AM   #21
disaffected
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Stove-top steam pressure autoclaves (they look like pressure cookers for canning) are inexpensive. However, they are tedious to use and they have a relatively small capacity. They will also destroy many plastic objects along with the sundry bacteria, molds, yeasts, etc. And they are not really practical for carboys.

Where they might come in handy is if you want to culture you own yeast under much better conditions than the simple washing and storing methods that most people use. You could really get those test tubes sterile before inoculating them with your yeast cultures.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #22
butler1850
Recipes 

I fill my CLEAN 6.5gal carboy with a mixture of c-brite & hot water, let sit to sanitize.

This then drains via auto-siphon into the bottling bucket sanitizing all of my small items, (funnel, strainer, spoon, airlocks, bungs, etc).

That drains into my small 5gal carboy sanitizing that.

Airlocks go in place to preserve sanitation until needed.

Brew, add wort to 6.5gal carboy, pitch, ferment, xfer to pre-sanitized secondary, etc...

Old 10-20-2006, 01:26 AM   #23
1234maverick
Recipes 

I use the one step method after each use then after it drys I seal it with plastic wrap. Then on brew day I pull the top rack out of my dish washer so it will fit and run it through the rinse and dry cycle. Its the first thing I start when I brew. That way when Iam ready it has cooled enough to use. Works for me!

Quick Reply