I have spent much time scouring this forum in an attempt to wrap my brain around setting up an E herms HLT and I wanted to run a few questions by the experts out there and get a feel for what you would recommend. Thanks for any info you can provide and my appologies for asking questions that have already been asked, I swear I did my homework first.
I am starting with a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler. I am going to add a 1500 high watt density element and will control it with the standard Johnson A419 temp control.
Now, my questions start with the HERMS coil. Please take into account that it will all be housed in the 10 gallon cooler:
- What is the preferred length for the coil (25 or 50 feet)?
- What is the preferred diameter 3/8 or 1/2 inch?
- Any concerns with fitting the coil in the cooler? (ie. 1/2 stainless too stiff to bend therefor may not be ideal for the 10 gallon cooler, etc)
- What is the preferred metal for the coil, copper or ss?
- What is the preferred design/input output for the coil installation? (in the lid out the side, in the lid out the lid, in the side out the side, other?)
- What are the preferred connections to the coolers? (qd's, etc)
- Any concerns with installing these to the plastic cooler? (leakage?)
Now the rest of my system will include another 10 gallon cooler for my mlt, a pump and I am not sure about the BK yet. I have a turkey fryer pot, but may look to upgrade to an E BK. I have to figure out this HLT first though. Baby steps man, baby steps.
thanks again for your help guys.