Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Duda Diesel - 30 Plate Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 03:03 AM   #41
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by clblittle
Just finished a brew with my new 30 plate chiller from Duda Diesel. I was absolutely the worst customer ever (changing my order twice, and returning once) because of poor planning on my part. However I received the B323A 30Plate and just finished a batch.

I simply cannot explain how awesome these guys were, or how great this chiller is. I just cooled 10gal. to 72 deg. literally in about 8 minutes. wow. I have dumped a lot of money into my new hobby, but this takes the cake as far as investments go. Seriously, coming from the most indecisive person to ever walk the face of the earth: Do your self a favor and order one of these things today. You will not regret it.
Good to hear. I just bought one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #42
el_horno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis2010 View Post
Don't recall the exact threads/diameters, but a suggestion: set-up all connections to the chiller using quick disconnect fittings. This allows the hoses to be easily removed. Handy for cleaning and storage. These fittings you can typically get on a visit to a good local hardware store.
Can you provide more information on your quick disconnects? What sizes are needed and where you got them?
Thanks!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #43
mxpx5678
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just picked up one of the 30 plate versions today after using a friend's therminator. Got some camlocks coming to so hopefully I can use it on my next brew day this weekend.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #44
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I bought my Christmas present from Brewhardware: B3-23A-30ST long plate chiller with camlocks. Works great!! Chills 10 gallons of wort from boiling to 60F in about 10 minutes. Ground water temp is currently 53F high in SW Ohio. I flush 180-190F water through the chiller about 15 minutes before the end of the brew and then flush 190F water through the filter in both directions at the end of the brew. About every 3rd or 4th brew, I will flush some hot PBW through it before the plain water flush. No problems so far. Most of my hot break stays in the keggle because I use a hop stopper. I also use a hop spider to prevent hop gunk from getting into the plate chiller. Cold break does get into the fermenters though. That's been my experience so far with the plate chiller.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #45
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

How are y'all attaching output thermometers? Brand recommendations? Also- if I wanted to recirculate back into the BK (a la the Jamil-o-chiller) is the cold break going to clog the chiller?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #46
RoundKid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
How are y'all attaching output thermometers? Brand recommendations? ?
I attached my output thermometer with a stainless steel Tee and a compression fitting, both from BrewHardware.com see this page for details: http://brewhardware.com/thermometers...becompression2

the thermometer is also from BrewHardware, a CDN digital: http://brewhardware.com/thermometers...al-thermometer

Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #47
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundKid View Post
I attached my output thermometer with a stainless steel Tee and a compression fitting, both from BrewHardware.com see this page for details: http://brewhardware.com/thermometers...becompression2

the thermometer is also from BrewHardware, a CDN digital: http://brewhardware.com/thermometers...al-thermometer
+1 That is what I use also. Works great. Cold break doesn't clog my chiller but I don't recirc back to the BK. I go straight into the fermenters.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #48
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklueber View Post
+1 That is what I use also. Works great. Cold break doesn't clog my chiller but I don't recirc back to the BK. I go straight into the fermenters.
I'd like to, but our groundwater temps don't ever get that cool (summer they can be downright hot) and since I'll be brewing big batches, I'm concerned about issues with my late hop character if I have to throttle the wort way down. Ideas?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #49
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Put a copper coil in a bucket or cooler full of ice. Run the cooling water through the coil before it gets to the plate chiller. I used to live in south Texas and that is what I had to do most of the year to get my wort down to about 70F.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #50
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklueber View Post
Put a copper coil in a bucket or cooler full of ice. Run the cooling water through the coil before it gets to the plate chiller. I used to live in south Texas and that is what I had to do most of the year to get my wort down to about 70F.
Was planning on running a prechiller, but may still need to throttle the wort flow back quite a bit. I guess it'll be a trial and error sort of thing.

Quick Reply