Dual Stage Ranco with Fridge & Fermwrap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleepleus

Reaction score
OK, so I've spent the last hour searching and reading old threads on Ranco setups. I purchased the prewired Dual Stage Ranco from Morebeer (http://morebeer.com/view_product/16664//Ranco_Digital_Two-Stage_Temperature_Controller_-_Wired, a Fermwrap heater, and a Craigslist standard top-freezer refrigerator. What would be the optimal way of setting this up? Say I'm fermenting a Rogue Shakespeare Stout (which I am), that I want to ferment at 60deg. Should I set the fridge at 58 with a 2deg differential, and the fermwrap at 62 with a 2deg differential? Also, I am using a thermowell with the probe from the Ranco inside.

Also, will the freezer stay frozen using this type of setup? I know that the fridge uses a fan to pull cold air from the freezer to cool it, but if it only turns on when the beer gets warm, will the freezer stay frozen?

Thanks as always for any help!

I'm assuming its warm in Portland, so just use the fridge. Set the Ranco to your target temp and since your using a thermowell it'll read the actual temp of the wort. When it get warmer naturally the fridge will bring the temp back down. When ambient temps are cooler (ie winter) use the fermwrap and do the opposite. At 60* (or whatever the set point is), the freezer will not stay frozen unless its lager temps; then it may.

I have the same setup. Just set the temp for both at the temp you want with +-1*F. Mine hardly ever runs either once the temp stabilizes. It takes a lot for 5.5 gals inside an insulated box to move much. Ales at 67F with basement ambient of around 60-62F and it might run 1 hour total for the whole two weeks.

Machinestop:
do you run both the heating and cooling at 60deg (for example), with a 1deg differential all the time? So if it hits 61 the cooling kicks on, and if it hits 59 the heating??

do you run both the heating and cooling at 60deg (for example), with a 1deg differential all the time? So if it hits 61 the cooling kicks on, and if it hits 59 the heating??

Yeah, that is how I set it up. I have an Imperial Porter in there right now that hasn't run either more than a few minutes over two weeks. I just tape my probe to the outside of the container with a clean sock over it to insulate it. I also have those stick on thermometers as a fail safe, and it is always right on temp.

Excellent. I set mine up like this last night, and it has been holding it at exactly 60deg since about 10pm. Really excited for precise temp control! Doing the Big Brew Oktoberfest recipe this weekend, really excited!

Many thanks!

Back