Drilling through Fridge door

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whackenstack

Reaction score
Ok so I got the fridge and I have my kegs and stuff in it and I am sick of using the party tap and I want to put faucetts on the outside of the door.
What is the suggested way to drill through the door for the shank(is there cooling coils in the door?) Is there any up side down side on the length of shank that I need or is it just enough to get through the door to get the nut on and secure it? I have a draft faucett and a Stout faucett that I am installing.

There aren't any cooling coils in the door. Better to have the shank a little too long than too short. I'd drill from the inside out.

... Is there any up side down side on the length of shank that I need or is it just enough to get through the door to get the nut on and secure it?

One school of thought is that you want a significant amount of shank inside for thermal mass to help keep the faucet on the outside cool

My shank wasn't long enough to penetrate the door and the insulation inside the door. I cut out the glued in insulation, drilled a hole in a 1/4" backing board. I put that board flush against the metal inside the door and tightened down my shank retaining nut on that. Then I used new styrofoam to fill in the gaps behing the board bringing it back to the level of the original insulation.

This is a pic of my fridge....

["IMG" ]

["IMG" ]

I figured out where I wanted my taps on the front. Then I looked on the inside of the door and made sure I had enough room for changing out my lines and doing the maintenance. I then drilled through the door from the FRONT and stopped just shy from ripping out the foam and plastic from the inside. I then drilled back out from the inside of the door. By doing this you save the tin cover on your fridge. And the install looks pro!

I also drilled from outside in, used a hole saw, and would suggest using a 1/4 inch board as stated by McKBrew. The fridge door is only sheet metal and my faucets are kind of loose with just the insulation and plastic inside to clamp onto. I will be making a bracket for the inside so they are firmer on the front.

excellent suggestions all. Thanks guys I think I have an Idea as to what I need to order now and how I want to go about doing it.

Back