The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > drilling out the cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
tommymac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default drilling out the cooler

I am going to be drilling out an opening for my 10 gal mash tun/cooler I plan on drilling a 7/8th inch diameter opening. Now instead of making a valve I am just going to use a predrilled stopper ( I also need to figure out what size it is) I have one at home already but will need a second one.

So my question is what do i need to do to seal the inside part of the cooler to prevent liquid from getting into the insulated part of the cooler?

Tom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I am going to be drilling out an opening for my 10 gal mash tun/cooler I plan on drilling a 7/8th inch diameter opening. Now instead of making a valve I am just going to use a predrilled stopper ( I also need to figure out what size it is) I have one at home already but will need a second one.

So my question is what do i need to do to seal the inside part of the cooler to prevent liquid from getting into the insulated part of the cooler?

Tom
If I'm visualizing this right...you're just going to use a stopper to plug the hole?

If that's the case, placing the stopper in from the inside is what you want to do.

That way the stopper is sealing the inner wall and you don't have to worry about sealing the outer wall.

I'm not sure why you're drilling the hole bigger though. There should be a pre-drilled stopper that fits the valve opening.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
tommymac
Recipes 

You visualized it correctly. The cooler I bought is one of the 20 dollar specials from target and doesnt have a drain opening in it. the 5 gallon gatorade cooler Ihave has an opening of 7/8ths so i figured i would keep them consistent in case I need to swap parts for whatever reason.

tom

Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
You visualized it correctly. The cooler I bought is one of the 20 dollar specials from target and doesnt have a drain opening in it. the 5 gallon gatorade cooler Ihave has an opening of 7/8ths so i figured i would keep them consistent in case I need to swap parts for whatever reason.

tom
Okay then.

Simply stopping the hole from the inside should do the trick.

Check out this page for some pic's that illustrate what I'm talking about.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
tommymac
Recipes 

that looks good, thanx for the link. I am currently using a false bottom but may eventualyl switch to the braided line.

Tom

Quick Reply