Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Drilling Glass

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
movet22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Drilling Glass

Good day everyone!

I have 3 six gallon glass carboys but am sick of having to clean through the small hole and siphon, so I am going to be moving to the Speidel wide-top PET for primary's and something like the deep woods 7 gal SS for a secondary.

That being said, I don't want to totally scrap my glass carboys, as they are perfectly functional as they stand. I'd think about keeping them, but I LOATHE racking with a siphon. My question is simple, is it completely reckless of me to try and drill a small hole into my carboys? Will it just shatter?

I am thinking something about big enough to somehow (haven't gotten this far yet) rack form a spigot... or something... somehow.

Am I living a pipe dream? should I just hold onto them for emergency need? should I just sell them? OR... should I wear elbow length protection, say a prayer and give this crazy idea a whirl?

Condemning comments commence in 3, 2, 1-GO!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
movet22
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Just an FYI, I have read the other threads here about this, and I am not really expecting this to be an option, but just wanted to float it out there.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Don't do it...you'll end up with a pile of broken glass.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
steber
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It can be done with a diamond bit. Drilling wouldn't be my main fear, I think it'd be much more vulnerable to breaking and I don't know how trying to clamp a spigot will hold up..

Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I think it's risky. I'd review my racking procedure instead. How are you racking now? I use a brewcap (whatever those things are called), a fixed copper racking cane, and I give it a blow to get the flow started. Some people use CO2 instead, that's fine too.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
movet22
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

My racking will consist of spigots in the PET guys and valves in the SS one. I am just trying to find a quick-fix to the question of what to use my glass ones for now. Using co2 to get that flow going is something I'd be willing to try.

In an effort to follow up a dumb question with a worse one... what about cutting the glass? I don't know how, but I feel like that could be easier than drilling.

I'm really not as gung-ho about this as I seem, I just think it is interesteing conversation, and you know... god forbid someone comes up with a great idea...

Old 01-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, it's doable with a diamond bit and some know how, but I would never handle a carboy again if I punched a hole in it. Drilling the hole creates all sorts of stress points and differences in strength, which will end up being a failure point in the carboy. Trade it for a better bottle if you want a racking port.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
I am thinking something about big enough to somehow (haven't gotten this far yet) rack form a spigot... or something... somehow
Great idea but like others have said stress points and all. Not to mention how in the world are you going to get the nut on the other side of the spigot. Be kind of like a ship in a bottle I think

Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
movet22
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Well, it is good to learn new things, stress points in drilled glass are something new for today!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have experience with glass as telescope mirrors. Glass is tricky stuff and you don't know how much stress the glass is under. You would need cross polarizers to check. You know the colors you see on rear windows with polarized glasses? That's stress.

Generally you don't drill glass, you grind it away. You risk chip out on the backside if you can't support the cut and that will be hard to do in a carboy. Also you have to hold the back nut on when installing the spigot. This will present a problem in cleaning also.

You might find it overall more of a pain to deal with in the long run trying to keep the back sides clean.

Quick Reply