Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Drill for Cereal Killer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
stbnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Drill for Cereal Killer

I need a recommendation for a drill to use with the cereal killer or if someone could just post the specs of theirs that would be great. I have a 9v black and decker that won't move it at all. I borrowed a friends 18v drill and that did not work so well. I was able to get it to work a little by hitting it in spurts and only doing like a handful of grain at a time but I could not just fill the hopper and go. My mill is at the factory settings and so far my efficiency has been in the 80's as opposed to 72-75 with the LHBS crush. I have a harbor freight near me so something from them would be helpful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
iWillbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbnj
I need a recommendation for a drill to use with the cereal killer or if someone could just post the specs of theirs that would be great. I have a 9v black and decker that won't move it at all. I borrowed a friends 18v drill and that did not work so well. I was able to get it to work a little by hitting it in spurts and only doing like a handful of grain at a time but I could not just fill the hopper and go. My mill is at the factory settings and so far my efficiency has been in the 80's as opposed to 72-75 with the LHBS crush. I have a harbor freight near me so something from them would be helpful.
I would go to a big box store or a tool warehouse and get an electric drill that has probably a half inch drive that plugs in....i would venture to say that will handle what u need

Old 03-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
iWillbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbnj
Mine is a dewalt and can handle just about anything. And it was under $100 about 6 years ago. Bosch also makes great equipment and tools...come to think of it i would go with the bosch

Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

An 18 volt didn't work? I run my monster mill with a 14.4 v craftsman with a nearly shot battery.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
mountainman13
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

DeWalt FTW! My 18v will tear through 20+ lbs of grain and have more than enough battery left to do manly stuff like cut a tree down with the recip saw from the same set.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Tandor
Recipes 

I have the cereal killer and used my 19.2v Craftsman drill. I did adjust the gap though.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 26

I use this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ill-93632.html
This would work also:
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ill-47991.html

Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
stbnj
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks everyone! I am not sure if maybe the gap it too tight and that's why it is so tough to turn but my crush looks good and I've been hitting about 82% efficiency on my last few brews using the cereal killer. I will have to get one of these before my next brew day.

Quick Reply