Draining a Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterball

Reaction score
Should I use a 3/8" ID or 1/2" ID hose to drain converted cooler mash tun. Seems most sites suggest a 3/8 but if speed is important seems 1/2 would work faster.

Most coolers will require a 1/2 inch ball valve which translates to 3/8 inch ID. Remember, when draining a mash tun, slower is better. You will get a high extraction effeciency if you just crack your valve open versus opening it up all the way.

I think that is debaitable (speed of draining). doing a search around here will give you all kinds of answers on that. Fly sparge - slow drain. Batch sparge - fast drain. I can't say I have the data to prove either but I know a lot of people have done the numbers for just about any way you can drain.

Yes I have a 1/2" ball valve. A 1/2 hose barb connects directly to ball valve. But I'm considering reducing to 3/8 hose barb for slower drain. Guess I could experiment and try it both ways

Yes I have a 1/2" ball valve. A 1/2 hose barb connects directly to ball valve. But I'm considering reducing to 3/8 hose barb for slower drain. Guess I could experiment and try it both ways

There is no advantage to draining the MT slowly when batch sparging. Fly sparging is a different situation and in that case, a slow sparge is the preferred method.

I would go with 1/2" with either sparge method. Keep in mind that the inside diameter of 1/2" barb fittings is only about 3/8". The ID of a 3/8" barb is about 1/4". That's a big difference in flow rates and depending on how you are set up it may or may not be of any importance. My thinking is why not go with the larger 1/2" tubing and fittings. The difference in cost will be trivial and it may save you from having to upgrade later on for some reason.

Bottom line is that either will work, but the larger stuff might be a better choice in the long run.

I will kindly disagree with the comment draining speed makes no difference. All I know is since I slowed the draining of the mashtun my extract effeciency has jumped up to 90%+. That has been the only thing that I have changed in my brewing technique. Say what you will but I've gotten results.

I got the Bargain Fittings kit, which uses the 1/2" fittings and a larger diameter braid. No problems, and I hit all my numbers on brew day.

Add me to the slow camp.

I have heard (and I can't remember where) that the long square coolers drain faster, since there is less grain bed, then do the round Home Depot coolers. Also, from experience, using a false bottom/manifold instead of the stainless steel braid increased my efficiency by 5%.

Latest posts

Back