Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   Don't know the term - clear tube I can see running wort through (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/dont-know-term-clear-tube-i-can-see-running-wort-through-279562/)

shortyjacobs 11-07-2011 09:18 PM

Don't know the term - clear tube I can see running wort through
For my newest incarnation of my brewery, I have a 2 vessel system, (15 gal keggle and 15 gal cooler MLT). I am mashing at 1.5 qt/lb in the MLT, then recircing my full boil volume through the MLT/BK. Finally, I pump all the liquid into the BK, (I shut the return to the MLT). So, like jKarp's countertop Brutus 20, but with only 1.5 qt/lb in the MLT, not the full boil volume in recirc during the mash.

When I pump the wort up into the BK, I am draining my mash tun. I'd like to have a way of knowing WHEN that draining is complete, (i.e, when my pump sucks air). It can be a bit noisy in my brewery, so listening for the pump pitch change is tricky.

I figured a clear "sight tube" between MLT and pump would work great. I'll see bubbles going through it, and know I'm done. I know I've seen SOMETHING like this in one of the blingy triclover setups on here a while back.

What's it called? Anyone DIY one? Mine would be with brass QDs from McMaster, not triclovers...

Alternately, anything that functions as a cheap flowmeter would work...something like the whirlygig that used to be on the side of gas pumps?

Flomaster 11-07-2011 09:30 PM

inline sight tube



shortyjacobs 11-07-2011 09:37 PM

Geez, I was searching for "sight glass" and kept getting the level indicating type, (to see how full your BK is, for example). I was so close! Thanks!!!

weirdboy 11-07-2011 09:41 PM

What do you use now for plumbing? Are you using pipe?

shortyjacobs 11-07-2011 09:43 PM

Thermoplastic tubing. The opaque kind.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:21 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.