Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > DOH! Forgot to clean new wort chiller...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
mfaulkner07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default DOH! Forgot to clean new wort chiller...

Well I finally got a wort chiller and now am wondering if I screwed my first batch with it.
Typical me being dumb and not reading the directions I hooked her up and plopped in the wort with 5-10 minutes left of boil. I had about 2 gallons of wort left at this point.
Worked like a charm...afterwards I did notice a mild sheen on the wort, then of course went back and read where and how I should have cleaned the wort chiller.
Any chance I ruined my wort? Or will poison myself/others?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaulkner07
Well I finally got a wort chiller and now am wondering if I screwed my first batch with it.
Typical me being dumb and not reading the directions I hooked her up and plopped in the wort with 5-10 minutes left of boil. I had about 2 gallons of wort left at this point.
Worked like a charm...afterwards I did notice a mild sheen on the wort, then of course went back and read where and how I should have cleaned the wort chiller.
Any chance I ruined my wort? Or will poison myself/others?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
There may be some oil residue left on the chiller from the manufacturer; which may explain the sheen in your wort.

Regardless the amount in there was likely minimal. Let it ferment out and taste it before bottling.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
whirlybirds
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's not going to hurt much. You might have a weird taste in your beer if there was something on the chiller from the manufacturer. But if your asking about bacterial infections, the whole reason you place your chiller in the wort 5-10 mins before flame out is to kill everything on the chiller. You sanitized it so your good to go.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
ghostbrewer
Recipes 

Default Try racking

After primary fermentation settles out, if you are still worried about the sheen, you can try racking to a secondary. If you do it gently with a siphon and sacrifice and inch or so of volume, you should be able to leave the sheen behind. It is likely from a very thin coating of oil or similar organic substance to protect the copper from corrosion / verdigris formation during storage.

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Fool's Errand II
Bottled: Red Pepper Export Ale, Beach Ball Blonde

Old 06-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
mfaulkner07
Recipes 

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies! Great stuff,
I can now sleep easier tonight...
Will try to siphon off as suggested going to secondary.

Thanks again!

Old 06-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 540 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 10

RDWHAHB IMO, while not ideal, I can't imagine that there was that much of anything on the chiller to do any real damage to the brew...cheers.

Quick Reply