Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Does a longer stir bar get thrown less?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
zanemoseley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Does a longer stir bar get thrown less?

So I have a shorter stir bar (about 1") and I've been doing large 1 gallon starters in an old pickle jar. The first time I had to turn down the speed so it wouldn't get thrown. Now on my second starter with the same bar and jar I can't get the bar to stay spinning more than a couple seconds. I really like this jar but can't get the stir bar going, I have no idea why I got it fine before but can't get it now. Will a long bar help or will it be the same?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I find it's the other way around.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

If the bottom is anything less than perfectly flat, being slightly off center will cause you problems.

I also prefer my shorter stir bar.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-23-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 597

I've never tried a 2"bar. I use a 1" in my pickle jar. I think the Idea is to use a bar that has the same spacing in the bar magnets as the magnet spacing on your stir plate. My procedure for getting the bar to stay spinning is to 1st use a magnet to locate the bar to the center of the jar. I then place it as close to center of the stirrer as I can and start off slow. I've gotten used to knowing if it's close to centered by the sound it makes. I turn the stirrer up enough to see the whirlpool on top and make slight moves to get it centered. When I'm confident I have it centered I turn the plate up and keep an eye on it . Sometimes it's another slight adjustment. When I'm done I have a nice dimple in the center, It's not making too much noise, and it will run forever.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

BBL_Brewer Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #5
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 416 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
I've never tried a 2"bar. I use a 1" in my pickle jar. I think the Idea is to use a bar that has the same spacing in the bar magnets as the magnet spacing on your stir plate. My procedure for getting the bar to stay spinning is to 1st use a magnet to locate the bar to the center of the jar. I then place it as close to center of the stirrer as I can and start off slow. I've gotten used to knowing if it's close to centered by the sound it makes. I turn the stirrer up enough to see the whirlpool on top and make slight moves to get it centered. When I'm confident I have it centered I turn the plate up and keep an eye on it . Sometimes it's another slight adjustment. When I'm done I have a nice dimple in the center, It's not making too much noise, and it will run forever.
That pretty much sums it up, unless you have a perfectly flat bottom like Malfet said. I don't think a larger stir bar will solve your problem. Sounds like either the bottom of the jar is too irregular or your magnet placement is off a little bit. You want to get the magnet as close to the bottom of the jar as possible. I had to sort through about 30 or 40 gallon jugs at the local fruit market to get a handfull that were suitable for stir plate duty. Once you find a good one, don't drop it. My brew buddy dropped one of mine the other day. Now I'm using a back up that makes a lot of noise and throws bars like crazy if you don't get it centered just right.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My 2L flasks get 1.5 or 2" bars. My growlers get 1" or .75" bars. Dont forget the spacing of your magnets also plays a factor!

I just got a Mr Beer kit and want to brew a Double Imperial Blueberry Heffy Witesit....we have no air conditioning and live next to the sun...do you think I can logger and bottle this in time for a party I will be having next week?

Old 02-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #7
Babydom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I find that starting at a slower revolution setting and gradually increasing the speed on the stir plate reduces the chances of throwing the stir bar. Small stir bars unless I’m making a 4 to 5 liter starter than I jump to the two inch stir bar.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 416 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydom View Post
I find that starting at a slower revolution setting and gradually increasing the speed on the stir plate reduces the chances of throwing the stir bar. Small stir bars unless I’m making a 4 to 5 liter starter than I jump to the two inch stir bar.
What kind of vessel are you making 5 liter starters in? Hopefully something cheap, because I'd like to get one.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
runbad
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A shorter bar would help with the throwing issue. My stir plate has a magnet pretty much it's entire diameter so I rarely have an issue.

You don't need a vortex at the surface to promote growth. A subtle agitation should suffice in introducing oxygen

Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
f0xtr0t
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had a real problem with using a hard drive magnet. Is that what you're using? It has a curve and the magnetic field is a little tricky. The magnetic field is not exactly centered its off a little bit to the inside of the curve. This of course put my magnet just a little off center of the fan so it can vibrate and move a lot if not weighted down with a starter flask. I had to put a 1 inch PVC spacer between the fan and magnet so the magnet would not lock the fan down, so that further increased the trouble with finding center. So finding the exact center was a daunting task. I ended up just buying a 1 inch stir bar because the 1.5 was being thrown all the time.

My Homemade stir plate.

Founding Member of B.R.E.W.S. (Border Residents Engineering Wicked Suds)
I'm a beekeeper. Save the bees, Save the world.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Quick Reply