New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Does a false bottom have to be stainless?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
R2-D2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Does a false bottom have to be stainless?

I'm a Brew-in-a-Bag brewer who is making a switch from the stovetop to an outdoor propane burner. Been reading up on the Aussie BiaB method and I definitely will try it for my next brew. This method calls for direct heat with the bag in the brewpot, which I have not tried before because of the potential for the nylon bag to melt/burn/rip.

While cleaning our house this past weekend, my wife and I found a pan roaster (similar to the interior of that was given to us as a gift. It's never been used and I'm sure it's not stainless. Could this work as a substitute for a false bottom to keep the bag directly off of where the flame hits the brewpot?

Bottled: Abbey's Weiss, Betty's American Wheat, Das Boot Kolsch, Coffee Stout w/Cocoa Nibs, Coffee Stout, Imperial Amber Ale, West Coast IPA, Nelson Sauvin Session Amber Ale, Belgian Golden IPA, Ya Mama's Best Milk Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It looks like the spacing is too much anyway. The bag would slump to the bottom and touch the hot pot. You need a steaming basket.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply