Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Does cleaning ever get you burned out on brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #21
H-ost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHoppyGuy View Post
Always make sure to invite someone new.
New people bring an excitement about the process that is contagious... and they don't know what they are getting into when they say "sure I'll help"

As for bottles, I always hear people complain about having to scrub them clean... why don't you just take 10 seconds and rinse it out right after it is empty?? I have never had to scrub bottles before.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #22
DrBergeron
Recipes 

This thread got me thinking about my cleaning processes and thought i'd share them for inspiration or something. I've never had an infection. The main motto is "rinse after use, sanitize before use". Hasn't failed me yet.

Bottles: The most tedious thing to clean of all time; after I drink a beer i rinse it immediately a few times with hot water and put on top of my kegarator. Once the top of the kegarator is full i buckle down and clean them with a bottle brush. I'm looking to remove all films left and any other organic pieces. Sanitizing them happens on bottling day so i don't do the same work twice. When Sanitizing them i use a vinator, highly recommended and it turns the sanitizing process of bottles into a cakewalk, relative to other methods.

Racking cane: After use I immediately spray its outside down with the hose coming out of the sink. Then with a small bowl or glass in the sink with hot water running into it, pump it rapidly so it rinses out the inside tubing. I will pump starsan through this rapidly the same way to sanitize and splash sanitizing water on the outside in the bucket so all surfaces are sanitized before using next time.

Carboys: after primary and yeast washing I rinse it out with a hose in my yard, then use a bottle brush to clean all organics and material on the inside. Then it goes upside down onto the carboy stand to dry. Sanitizing happens right before use when i dump my starsan bucket or bottling bucket into it and shake it for a bit then dump back into the starsan bucket to use as needed.

Starsan bucket: 2.5 gallons of hot water and .5 oz of starsan that i use any time i do brew related tasks. doesn't get dumped out until i'm done with what i'm doing that day so I can sanitize as I go and in case something needs to be re-sanitized because i dropped it on the ground, etc (happens all the time).

Hope this helps, I'm incredibly lazy and have no problems sticking to this routine because i treat sanitizing as sort of a pre-game activity and rinsing as a post-game activity, it never really feels like i have to clean (except damn bottles).

Old 04-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #23
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 157

1. I don't ever clean bottles. I rinse them 3 times each right after pouring the brew. Never needed to clean beyond that and it's never once been an issue. Of course, I sanitize the bottles on bottling day, but no scrubbing or soap whatsoever.

2. I don't use a racking cane, I bottle straight from the spigot on my fermenter with a bottling wand. Less stuff to clean (bottling bucket, tubing or racking cane, etc).

3. The two main things I need to clean physically with a sponge are the kettle and mash tun. I put a little water in, just a little, and some oxyclean and scrub away. It's actually a pretty quick process believe it or not. Tubing, bottling wand, airlock, stuff like that I just fill the sink with hot water and some oxyclean and let it soak a while then rinse. Tubing isn't such a big deal because the beer will be boiled and the tubing I use to drain from the kettle to fermenter is sanitized nicely before use.

Cleaning the fermenter is what I dislike the most. Yeast crud rings and such. But that too isn't horrendous. I take the summer off of brewing because the temps in the house are a bit too warm for most fermentation. It gives me a nice rest from brewing and the cleaning chores and allows me to focus more on my other love - writing music. Maybe set a certain time of the year to take a break as well? Or, you can look at refining your cleaning process and also try cleaning what you can in between steps.

Rev.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I never felt that cleaning was a bad part. I bottle and dislike filling bottles worse than cleaning. I soak my bottles in hot oxyclean for a bit, remove any labels and rinse out, the air dry. To sanitize I just put some starsan in it from my bottling bucket and we are good to go. You could always get one of those bottle blaster things for your faucet to cut time and effort.

Never had a problem with kettle. Just rinse with the garden hose after I'm done boiling and let it sit. For the most part I don't scrub it.

Everything else I just soak in oxyclean and rinse.

Doing this never gave me any problems.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

i use 2 of these.. i keep all my stuff in one and the other is for cleaning.. perfect for canes theives ect.. i just stack them inside of each other when i put away.. the second ones lid i drilled out a bunch of holes and turned it into a bottling rack for drying bottles upside down

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 04-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 23

For the racking cane and tube, I first flush with hot water. Then I fasten the free ends together with a rubber band, fill them with Oxiclean solution, and stand them up in a bucket for a couple hours to soak. I agree that if done immediately, hot water alone should be enough, but this soaking method is so easy I do it just to make sure.

For bottles, I triple rinse with hot water immediately after pouring, being sure to rinse all the sediment out. Then I give each a shot of star san with the vinator just before bottling the next time. Palmer’s on-line “How to Brew” suggests this method.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #27
flips
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I put a new faucet in and it seems like the perfect faucet for brewing (when you can't just do it outside using a garden hose). The head comes out far enough to reach over the edge of the sink so I can fill carboys that are on the floor with hot water. The heat seems to make a big difference for me when I use PBW.

Moen Pull Down Faucet

flips

Old 04-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #28
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBergeron View Post
The main motto is "rinse after use, sanitize before use". Hasn't failed me yet.
+++

Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #29
RazzBarlow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess I'm weird. I enjoy the cleaning part. To me it's part of the process and I get into it.

Primary:
Secondary:
Serving: Skeeter Pee
Nut Brown Ale

Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #30
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Yeah, cleaning is cleaning. Nothing that I hate. It certainly wouldn't keep me from brewing. I clean as I go on brew day. By the time I'm done with the boil, PBW has been re-cirulating in my MLT for at least 40 min, and through pump 1. Transfer wort to carboys, empty BK of debris. Transfer PBW to BK and set up to recirculate through pump 2, while clean water is transfered from HLT to MLT through pump 1 and then recirculated. Rinses out pump 1. Do the same thing after 20 min of the PBW in the BK. and then rinse for 20 min in BK and pump 2.

By the time i'm done with that, everything else is already cleaned and put away. On Racking day's, I transfer my beer to whatever vessel (secondary, keg, etc). Then put a hot PBW solution in the carboy and let it sit. Hit it with a brush for whatever the PBW didn't eat (which isn't much). Rinse that out and let it sit till it's needed. Then sanitize and good to go.

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Quick Reply