Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Does cleaning ever get you burned out on brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #11
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Always make sure to invite someone new.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #12
JonnyJumpUp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Cleaning can be tough but like others said if you clean as you go its not that bad. I find it helps me kill time during the waiting steps (mash, boil, etc). If you aren't kegging, get a vinator. You rinse the bottle when they are emptied then do a quick clean with the vinator + starsan on bottling day. If you go to 22oz bottles you only need to wash a couple dozen and with the vinator pre-rinsed clean method I spent about 30-45 minutes to bottle 5 gallons. What also helped me when I was still bottling was going to 3 gal carboy and 2.5 gallon batches. On bottling day I only cleaned 12 22 oz bottles. Since then I've graduated to kegging and am back to 5gal batches. Find ways to stream line your cleaning!

Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #13
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 to cleaning as you go from this guy also. None of my equipment sits dirty for more than an hour during a brew day. Typically, as soon as possible, I just rinse everything with hot water and store it so it can drain (racking tubing, cane, spoin, etc gets a quick dip in starsan prior to getting put away). I find that most of the time a quick rinse is all it takes then put the items up for the next brew day. I also find that a little preperation the day/night before significantly helps speed up my brewday, including the cleaning process.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #14
ziddey
Recipes 

This is why I only brew 15.5gal batches now. Or I say to hell with sanitation and hope for the best.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #15
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 34

For the tubes, try soaking in an Oxyclean solution. I do that with my fermenting buckets and bottling bucket. They are usually a littlle stained after use so I fill it up to the stain mark with the solution and let it sit for a few days. They turn out white as can be.

The best part is that if you forget about it or can't get to it then you just leave it and get to it when you can.

You can also rinse whatever small stuff you have and throw it in to the bucket to soak. Rinse and be done with it.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #16
DougMagic
Recipes 

Clean as you go for sure. I cannot brew indoors because of space constraints, so I can feel your small kitchen pain. Oxyclean is a life saver too. 1TB/gallon will make short work of anything.

Proud member of PUBGuild. (Pinellas Urban Brewers Guild)

Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziddey
This is why I only brew 15.5gal batches now. Or I say to hell with sanitation and hope for the best.
I guess I spend too much per batch on ingredients to use the "fu€k it" approach to sanitation, but that Is just my 2 cents... Again, make your star san solution (for me 1 gallon at a time) in your bottling bucket the night before and sanitize all the gear that night, then leave it in the bucket until the next day (brewday) and re-sanitize right before you use it. Then use it, give it a quick rinse, re-sanitize and let it dry. Done.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #18
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Keg! Also Pumps! We clean as we go. Simply switch pumps and clean up is a snap.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccumath View Post
I guess I spend too much per batch on ingredients to use the "fu€k it" approach to sanitation, but that Is just my 2 cents... Again, make your star san solution (for me 1 gallon at a time) in your bottling bucket the night before and sanitize all the gear that night, then leave it in the bucket until the next day (brewday) and re-sanitize right before you use it. Then use it, give it a quick rinse, re-sanitize and let it dry. Done.
Star San only requires a 2 minute contact time. Leaving materials, especially softer ones like vinyl tubing, overnight can start to break down the material. You also only need to sanitize once.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2347 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

I have started cleaning as I brewed, but it was harder when I first started because I wasn't as prepared for the brew day as I usually am now. Being prepared means I don't have as much to do during the brew (looking up charts, preparing ingredients, measuring water, etc.) and I can spend that time putting things away that I'm done with and washing things I've used.

You may just need to be better prepared before brewing.

Also, there may be a couple of simple upgrades that could help as some others have posted. Anything that ruins the brew day should be eliminated from your process IMO.

Quick Reply