Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Does a ball valve on boil kettle really make transfers easier?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
Zymurgrafi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
Not if you have a pump. I just use a 2 foot piece of copper.
Huh? Can you elaborate please?

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The copper tube shaped like a cane just hangs on the edge of the kettle and draws wort from the bottom. I tried just using tubing but heat softened it and it kept sucking on the side of the kettle, then the suction flattened the tubing, it was a mess.

The wort travels through the tubing to my CFC, then through the pump, and back into the kettle until the whole batch is below 140. It takes less than 5 minutes and the threat of DMS is neutralized. That's something you can't do without a pump (recirculate I mean). Then I use the pump to transfer the whole volume through the chiller into the fermenter.

My pump is self-priming which saved me the need to port my kettle. On the other hand, self priming meant that it could only handle cooled liquids, so it has to be downstream of the chiller.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 01-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
BeerCanuck

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I put a ball valve on my smaller 13 Gallon keggle, my newer 15.5 keggle is spiggotless.
Using an immersion chiller / autosiphon / autosiphon clamp / aeration gadget keeps the brewday simple when it comes to racking.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Old 01-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It completely depends on what chiller you choose. If you use an IC, you'll be fine without a valve. I suppose you could use an autosiphon with a CFC or plate, but it might be tricky. Most people have had good results with weldless valves. I say go for it.

Quick Reply