Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Does anyone use Sterisan for sanitization?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Joe Camel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Does anyone use Sterisan for sanitization?

Hey all,

I've been having a hell of a time trying to track down Starsan up here in Canada and am not too keen on iodophor b/c of the staining.

I've read a bit about this other product, sterisan, which is a QAC (quaternary ammonium compound) that is used a lot in the food, beverage and dairy industry as a no-rinse sanitiser.

Has anyone out there had success with this product?

Thanks,

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Rhino17
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have a 32oz bottle of Starsan that I purchased from Paddockwood brewing. They shut down thier online ordering site as of March 1st, but you can still order from them via phone. They have the 32oz listed for $38 right now, which isn't bad considering how long it will last you.

Rhino

Old 04-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino17
They have the 32oz listed for $38 right now, which isn't bad considering how long it will last you.
But it is pretty bad considering a 32oz container in the US is about $12... Still, if you store and reuse solution, a 32oz container could last you practically forever, so it could still be cost-effective even at that hugely inflated price...

Old 04-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Hey all,

I've been having a hell of a time trying to track down Starsan up here in Canada and am not too keen on iodophor b/c of the staining.

I've read a bit about this other product, sterisan, which is a QAC (quaternary ammonium compound) that is used a lot in the food, beverage and dairy industry as a no-rinse sanitiser.

Has anyone out there had success with this product?

Thanks,

Joe
You have to be very careful using quaternary ammonium; if used in too large a dose it can be very poisonous to humans and animals. You need to use it in conjunction with test papers to make sure you aren't using too much or too little.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
Joe Camel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarlecky
You have to be very careful using quaternary ammonium; if used in too large a dose it can be very poisonous to humans and animals. You need to use it in conjunction with test papers to make sure you aren't using too much or too little.
So is beer. (j/k) Seriously though, the active in sterisan is benzalkonium chloride, which is used in everything from antiseptic wipes, eye drops, hospital surface sanitizer, cow teat disinfectant, etc.

The recommended dilution on the website is 200ppm final of a 5% stock, so about 1 tsp per quart which sanitizes in 60 seconds with no rinse. I've just read somewhere that it may impart a flavor so I'll have to do a bit of a taste test. I have some pure stuff in my lab (thank you Sigma), I may just order some DBSA and make my own Star San

Old 04-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Joe, if you are ever down in Calgary, The Vineyard carries Star San. It's no cheaper than Paddock Wood, though.

Quick Reply