Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Does anyone have a Bichmann Boilermaker?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Does anyone have a Bichmann Boilermaker?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Blichmann Boilermaker pot, they look like the only pot you'd ever need/want. I can get one here in my hometown for under $300 (10 gallon). I will be upgrading to full boils and this would be one of my equip additions. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they worth the price tag? They look like thay are but looks can be deceiving. I like the thermometer, lets ya know when you've reached pitching temps, of course ball valve makes things easy. At some point I will go all grain, and I WILL NOT be making more than 5 gallons at a time (I like too many different styles and don't have enough space for excess), any opnions?

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I've got the 10 gallon with the false bottom for mashing... I love it and, yes, I spent the $$ as my philosophy on these types of things is 'Buy it right, buy it once'. Recommended.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Stinkonamonkey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
I'm thinking of purchasing a Blichmann Boilermaker pot, they look like the only pot you'd ever need/want. I can get one here in my hometown for under $300 (10 gallon). I will be upgrading to full boils and this would be one of my equip additions. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they worth the price tag? They look like thay are but looks can be deceiving. I like the thermometer, lets ya know when you've reached pitching temps, of course ball valve makes things easy. At some point I will go all grain, and I WILL NOT be making more than 5 gallons at a time (I like too many different styles and don't have enough space for excess), any opnions?
You can get a 15 gallon keggle from Sabco for that price.

Universal Brewing Kettle - Sabco

Old 03-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkonamonkey View Post
You can get a 15 gallon keggle from Sabco for that price.

Universal Brewing Kettle - Sabco
To be fair, you'd have to add a ball valve, sight glass, thermometer, and lid to the Sabco price to make an "apples to apples" comparison.

And the brew pot, IMO, looks a bit nicer, if that matters to you.

I have the 10 gallon and like the OP, I don't have the setup to do more than 5-6 gallon all-grain brews, because my situation is such that I'm confined to the kitchen (thankfully I have a Wolf range that can boil 7 gallons). I've used it three times so far, and haven't regretted the decision. It is spendy, but worth it.

Last edited by jpc; 03-14-2009 at 03:11 PM.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
slimer

Recipes 

Get the 15 gallon pot instead of the 10. You'll want to do double batches eventually.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Brewers Hardware
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have the 30G boilermaker. If you have the money then go for it. I do feel it is a little overpriced for what it is. I have 2 B3 HD kettles as well and they are built much heavier duty. I use it as a mashtun and I do really like the false bottom.

Take a look at the B3 HD Kettles as well before you get the Blichmann.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Stinkonamonkey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
To be fair, you'd have to add a ball valve, sight glass, thermometer, and lid to the Sabco price to make an "apples to apples" comparison.

And the brew pot, IMO, looks a bit nicer, if that matters to you.

I have the 10 gallon and like the OP, I don't have the setup to do more than 5-6 gallon all-grain brews, because my situation is such that I'm confined to the kitchen (thankfully I have a Wolf range that can boil 7 gallons). I've used it three times so far, and haven't regretted the decision. It is spendy, but worth it.
I agree on all points. The additional items wouldn't add up to over $300 if you shopped wisely. But, let me tell you, having the extra capacity when doing 5 gallon batches is priceless. I don't even have to worry about the hot break boiling over. I'd be comfortable setting my flame to high and walking away for an hour if it weren't for hops additions. The hot break climbs all the way up the keggle but doesn't go over. All I'm saying is the capacity is worth it if your going to be paying that much money.

Edit: I wouldn't want a Keggle for stovetop brewing.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkonamonkey View Post
I agree on all points. The additional items wouldn't add up to over $300 if you shopped wisely. But, let me tell you, having the extra capacity when doing 5 gallon batches is priceless. I don't even have to worry about the hot break boiling over. I'd be comfortable setting my flame to high and walking away for an hour if it weren't for hops additions. The hot break climbs all the way up the keggle but doesn't go over. All I'm saying is the capacity is worth it if your going to be paying that much money.

Edit: I wouldn't want a Keggle for stovetop brewing.
That was really the determining factor for me... I couldn't fit the keggle on the stovetop and comfortably reach the inside to add hops due to the height of my hood.

Given the crappy housing market, my situation won't change for a while, but when it does, you can be sure that I'll have a tiered system and will be going for the keggles. Of course, I'll still have to worry about boil-overs, since I'd likely increase my batch size at that point .

Old 03-15-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Eventually you will do 10 gallon batches assuming you stick with homebrewing. Get a keggle and be done with it. I put one together for $130 including stainless ball valves, an extra nipple welded in for a thermometer eventually, and a plug for the nipple. My neighbor welds and did the welding for me but it still wouldn't cost more than $150 or so if you had to pay for the welding. Trade some beer for it or something. Don't assume that you will always do five gallon batches. It's a sure thing that you won't.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I find keggles hideously ugly.

You might consider other brands of stainless kettles. I know that a 10-gallon Megapot can be had for $230 (with ball valve and thermometer), and Northern Brewer has a 9-gallon no-name stainless kettle with a spigot and the socket for thermometer installation for $155 (so you could upgrade over time). austinhomebrew also carries uncut megapots and offers hole-drilling service.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply