Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Does anyone have any info on these pots? JARHILL 96/70 QT Stainless Steel Stock Pots

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #31
billboll
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

RadicalEd,

Thanks for the tip! The olive oil worked wonders. It's ironic (not in the Alanis Morrisette sense, but in the REAL sense) that I spent so much time trying to remove the stickers when I had 5 gallons of olive oil less than two feet away!

Like all of you, I'm very excited to find Jarhill stock pots. Once I have a decent amount of experience with mine, I will post my comments about them. Even though I'm a soapmaker, dealing with nothing but lye and oil, I hope my comments will be useful.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #32
Spellman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Also, the handles rust since they must not be stainless, but not a big deal. The bottom of my 17.5 warped a little from my burner after 3 batches since something burned on it.
Do you have any pictures of the rusted handles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #33
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellman View Post

Do you have any pictures of the rusted handles?
Let me see if I can get some later on today. The pot is stored away atm. From what I remember they were all corroded, but I don't think it was the typical red rust.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #34
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Hope this works, trying from the mobile app.

forumrunner_20130925_102040.png

Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #35
Spellman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for sharing the picture! That is certainly intriguing. At least it seems to be only on the outside. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if there is anything you could put on to prevent them from rusting or to cover it up.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #36
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellman View Post
Thanks for the pictures! Which pot size is that? These things are still awfully tempting. I wish I could just get 3 of the same size. Has anyone tried measuring their exact capacity? I have heard of other pots being slightly smaller than advertised.
No problem .

These pics are of the 96 QT pot. I have not measured capacity yet; I am waiting on that until I get a sight gauge installed.

No corrosion yet, but I'll keep an eye on the handles.

I dropped one of the 96 QT pots off at Adventures in Homebrewing (www.homebrewing.org). They are going to make me a custom false bottom for my mash tun (details TBD). That would make it pretty easy for any subsequent folks to get one ordered. I'd contact jason[at]homebrewing.org if you also want one, and tell him that Eddie H sent ya . (I have no vested interest in this. They're just cool folks that run a great business!)

Old 09-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #37
dkmag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I got a couple of sets of the 70/96 pots a while ago and have now had the chance to brew a few 5 gallon batches in the 70qt pot. I have not seen any rusting on my pots.

I'm in the middle of building out my eHERMS system and will use 2 of the 96qt pots for the HLT and BK and one of the 70qt pots for the MLT.

As for a false bottom in the MLT, I just discovered that the new 20gal & 30gal MegaPot 1.2 pots from Northern Brewer have the same diameters as the 70/96 pots (45 cm & 50 cm) and they are selling false bottoms for them. So, I may get the 20gal false bottom and see if it fits.

One other thing about these pots that has been mentioned, but deserves reiterating, is that you really got to give them a good cleaning before using. They seem have quite a bit of polishing compound still on them and I ended up scrubbing them out 3 times with BKF to get them clean.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #38
saintbodhisatva
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmag View Post
One other thing about these pots that has been mentioned, but deserves reiterating, is that you really got to give them a good cleaning before using. They seem have quite a bit of polishing compound still on them and I ended up scrubbing them out 3 times with BKF to get them clean.
I take it boiling water in them would not be enough?

Old 09-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #39
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I used simple dish detergent and hot water with no problem of residues.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #40
dkmag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintbodhisatva View Post
I take it boiling water in them would not be enough?
I first washed with liquid soap and hot water and then did a boil with water but found I was getting a grey residue film on the surface of the water. So, I went at it with BKF and after that I had no more problems.

Could have just been a issue with the pots I got. Looks like RadicalEd didn't have any problem after a simple soap and hot water scrub. Maybe start with that and a water boil and see if that works.

Quick Reply