New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Does anyone have any info on these pots? JARHILL 96/70 QT Stainless Steel Stock Pots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
RadicalEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Well, throwing caution to the the wind I ordered 3 sets the other day. I'll break them up and keep the 3 largest pots; there's a few local guys interested in the smaller pots.

I'll report back in once I get them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
saintbodhisatva
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

subscribed. looking forward to your reviews.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #23
2B_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought a set also. I have not brewed or boiled anything in them yet but I'll comment on the thickness.

They feel and seem just as thick and sturdy as the 10 gallon economy pot from Northern Brewer that I've been using for 3 year with over 100 batches and I have no complains about that pot.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #24
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I just got a set of these yesterday. I'm planning on using the big one for a boil kettle and the 17.5 gallon one as a direct fired mash tun with a false bottom. The lids are super crappy but the actual pots seem to not be too bad. Especially for the money.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Also, the handles rust since they must not be stainless, but not a big deal. The bottom of my 17.5 warped a little from my burner after 3 batches since something burned on it.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
bja
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Also, the handles rust since they must not be stainless, but not a big deal. The bottom of my 17.5 warped a little from my burner after 3 batches since something burned on it.
How could something burn on it? Did you fire it dry?

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #27
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post

How could something burn on it? Did you fire it dry?
Scorched to the bottom. I think it was my biab as it has turned brown/black in spots. We had to add heat when mashing and usually don't have a problem with the bag getting singed. Looks like this time we added heat too quickly or didn't raise the bag enough

Old 09-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
billboll
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just bought two sets of Jarhill stock pots and I cannot get the stickers off. I've tried warm soapy water, alcohol, acetone... Nothing works. Any suggestions?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #29
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

OK, I finally messed around with mine yesterday. These bad boys are big, but hey, that's what we were hoping for!

My thoughts:

1. The handles seem quite solid, but I wouldn't move the pot with them when full.

2. The metal seems a bit thin; it doesn't have a really 'sturdy' feel to it. The thickness is probably about the same as one of my 5 gallon pots. In other words, more than adequate for holding the liquid. On heat transfer, see #3 and #4.

3. On one batch of beer, I cranked my Blichmann burner to full out heat and has zero issues with scorching.

4. On another batch, I used a stainless hop filter and allowed it to rest on the bottom of the pot. Scorching did ensure underneath it. Do not put solid materials on the bottom of the pot! *note: I had the Blichmann at 100% for this as well.

5. Removing the sticker was a bit tricky until I remembered a trick--I dabbed some olive oil onto the sticker, which helps to dissolve the glue's solvent. Then some dish soap took care of the rest, easy peasy.

6. Even on a 5 gallon batch the boil foam reached to 3/4 full.....scary stuff!

7. Boil off with the Blichmann and this pot seems to be about 2.5-3 gallons an hour o.O

The pics attached are for the pot on the Blichmann burner with roughly 5.5 gallons in the pot.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #30
Spellman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the pictures! Which pot size is that? These things are still awfully tempting. I wish I could just get 3 of the same size. Has anyone tried measuring their exact capacity? I have heard of other pots being slightly smaller than advertised.

Quick Reply