Do it yourself airlock? Any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
I want to do some "experiments" mostly just crap I'll throw away. I need to make some contraption that will act as an airlock, I'd like to use an empty water bottle for my tests, Disani water bottle to be exact. Anyone have any ideas?

My experiment is simply making a starter from my "saved" yeast. It is my first attempt at yeast washing and I want to be sure I did it right. I simply dont have the equipment at hand at the moment. Baloon sounds good....

Plastic airlocks are like $2.00 a piece, so making one seems a bit fruitless. A blow-off tube with the open end dunked in some sanitizing solution makes a great airlock, though.

Wow, everyone relax. I just want to mess around with some yeast and see if my collection methods worked by making a starter that i'm going to THROW AWAY. I dont want to wait 5 days to order airlocks because I dont have any extra. You'd think I killed the pope or something.

jackle said:
Wow, everyone relax. I just want to mess around with some yeast and see if my collection methods worked by making a starter that i'm going to THROW AWAY. I dont want to wait 5 days to order airlocks because I dont have any extra. You'd think I killed the pope or something.
Dude, I didn't mean to bash your idea - and I thought the blow-off suggestion was a good one. An even cheaper solution is a piece of aluminum foil folded over the top of your bottle - that's how I make my yeast starters in an Erlenmeyer flask. And if you're just gonna toss the starter anyway, you may consider going without an airlock/cover entirely.

I never use an airlock with my yeast starters. Just loosely wrap some aluminum foil around the mouth of your starter vessel and you're good to go. If you get fermentation, you'll know-you'll see it, assuming you use glass.

I peraonally like the condom idea.... just think of the expressions on people's faces when they see it.... hey just be sure to take pictures and post them.... hmm...

Back