Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Do plate chillers really suck this much?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #11
wegz15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout

Don't you worry about getting tortilla bits clogging your chiller?
I used flour tortillas as opposed to corn. Corn brakes easier. So I'm not too worried

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I use a stainless braid in my pot (just like the one in my mash tun). That works fine for leaf hops. If I use pellets, I toss those in a mesh bag. Cold break has never been a problem for me.

As far as cleaning, I backflush after every use and bake my plate every few batches and backflush with hot oxyclean. That seems to keep it clear.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I've read about the problems with plate chillers, and how it takes some extremely strong acid to clean them out; too much trouble IMO. I've got a 50' copper immersion chiller that I got off Amazon for $80; planning on eventually getting a nice little compact counterflow chiller, something like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/r...0/category/72/

Old 09-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

do you have a valve on your pump to control flow...I made that mistake when I first got mine....now that I control the flow works like a champ...
Also are you whirl pooling with the chiller attached? I personal whirl pool with my large paddle and skip using the pump

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 09-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
BobTheFourth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been using one for two batches now without any severe trouble, and definitely no clogging issues. I use a hop spider to keep the hops out though, so I'm just dealing with cold break.

To clean mine, I've just been backflushing it with a garden hose immediately after use. I have very high water pressure, but I imagine I will need to start pumping PBW through it at some point to keep it clear.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I use a generic plate chiller that I haven't been particularly happy with because it takes too long to chill with the high ground water temps here in Florida, but I haven't had any problems with it clogging. I whirlpool/recirculate with it starting at 15' remaining in the boil, all the way down to ~85-90 degrees temp. Right now it goes through a Blichmann hop blocker; before that, I used a Kettle/Bazooka screen as well as hop socks. They are impossible to clean perfectly, which is why running boiling wort through them is important for sanitation.

I did have to pull out my immersion chiller for my pumpkin ale I brewed on Tuesday, but that was only because the pumpkin clogged the hop blocker and prevented flow to the pump, which I kind of expected.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #17
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumed
do you have a valve on your pump to control flow...I made that mistake when I first got mine....now that I control the flow works like a champ...
Also are you whirl pooling with the chiller attached? I personal whirl pool with my large paddle and skip using the pump
Yeas I have a valve for flow. The problem really comes from clogging. I've made a spider (all stainless) but it doesn't reach down far enough for ky 5 gallon batches in my kettles.... Any tips?

How do you sanitize you pump and chiller if you're whirlpooling without them?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS