Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Do I need a flask?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
kenpotf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Do I need a flask?

Do I really need to get a flask in order to do starters? I see a lot of people talk about it, but one problem that I have is that I don't have gas burners. I noticed on Midwest and this forum that it's not recommended to use them on an electric burner. Is there an alternative to using a flask, and what does the flask really do anyway?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 737 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 51

A lot of us just use glass growlers. I make a starter in a sauce pan, cool, pour into a growler and that's it. The advantage of a flask is that it's borosilicate glass, meaning you can put it directly on the burner and do your boil that way.

However, if you get a growler at a local brewery/brewpub, they're free and come full of beer. To me, that outweighs all of the flask's advantages.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

boil the starter wort in a saucepan, sanitize a funnel and the flask.....

Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
kenpotf
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for the replies. What's the flask for though? If I'm boiling the starter in a pan, why the need for funneling it into the flask or growler?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Brewham
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The starter doesn't ferment in the pan - you put it in another container. The flask looks "cool" and makes me want to put on a white lab coat. Other than that, it is just a container to hold about a liter and a half of liquid.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 188 Posts

You can boil a flask on an electric stove I do it all the time u just can't put the flask directly on the burner or it will brake take a coat hanger and make a little square out of it and place that between the flask and the burner and ur good to go

Old 06-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
rack04
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Will you be using a stir plate? If the answer is no, then you do not need a stir plate and a growler would work perfect. I invested in one simply because I couldn't get a growler to work with my stir plate.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpotf View Post
Do I really need to get a flask in order to do starters? I see a lot of people talk about it, but one problem that I have is that I don't have gas burners. I noticed on Midwest and this forum that it's not recommended to use them on an electric burner. Is there an alternative to using a flask, and what does the flask really do anyway?

Thanks!
You can safely use a flask on an electric stove, but you need to place a wire trivet between the burner and the flask. I made a trivet from a wire coat hanger bent into a star shape. This prevents direct contact between the flask and the heating coils which could damage the flask. I use two 2 liter flasks for most of my starters and sometimes a one gallon glass jug. I'm running a stir plate. You can make equally effective starters without one, but it will take longer. You can use most any container that can be properly sanitized. Growlers, glass jugs, flasks or even a PET bottle would work just fine. I like the convenience of the flasks, but most any container can be made to work OK. I now pressure can my starter wort so I no longer have to boil it in the flask.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
JayWeezie
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps
You can boil a flask on an electric stove I do it all the time u just can't put the flask directly on the burner or it will brake take a coat hanger and make a little square out of it and place that between the flask and the burner and ur good to go
I have a glass top electric stove and have been putting my flask directly on top of it. Are you talking about a electric coil type range? Where the element is exposed.

And to the OP. Flasks are super convenient. You can boil and chill all in the same container. No sanitizing different vessels and tools. I did one starter in a growler before I bought my flask and wont go back.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
kenpotf
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So I could get a trivet to put on top of the element?

JayWeezie,

It's an open element electric stove.

Thanks!

Quick Reply