Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > DIY grain mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #11
krury
Recipes 

Would a burr type coffee grinder work. Not fast production but variable grind and cheap. Most of us have more time than money anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krury
Would a burr type coffee grinder work. Not fast production but variable grind and cheap. Most of us have more time than money anyway.
I don't think it would work very well. It would grind them to fine. You want to have the barley hulls intact and not grind them to flour.

Gary

Old 08-30-2006, 11:24 PM   #13
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 621 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by krury
It's possible you could find one that has a coarse enough setting, but even the coarsest coffee grind I've ever seen would be too fine for crushed grain. I'm opting for the completely home-built version - still a few open questions from the first post...anyone?

Old 09-06-2006, 04:42 AM   #14
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Progress! Here's a test piece in 1" aluminum. I powder coated it mostly to test my setup and play with some new garage toys.

Since no one has addressed the coating issue, I might make two sets of mild steel grain rollers as a bit of an experiment - one set in bare metal and one powder coated set.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #15
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's a neat project, Yuri_Rage. I think mild steel would be the best of the options you've mentioned. Try to keep it dry, but a little rust isn't going to hurt you.

Is stainless too hard to lathe? I don't know anything about metalworking, but it seems like that would be a good solution. How about nickel plating the rollers?

Old 09-06-2006, 01:31 PM   #16
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Is stainless too hard to lathe? I don't know anything about metalworking, but it seems like that would be a good solution. How about nickel plating the rollers?
Stainless is a little harder to machine, but that's not why I ruled it out. It's REALLY expensive. Aluminum and mild steel are much more affordable.

Nickel or even chrome plating is certainly an option, but that adds cost as well, and there isn't a plating shop in town. I have access to all of the processes I've mentioned so far.

FYI, tools are chrome plated because chrome is a VERY hard, durable finish. It's usually a two step process where nickel is applied and polished, then chrome is applied over the nickel plate. Triple chrome plating is chrome plate over nickel plate over copper plate, polished at each step along the way.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #17
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are a ton of places in San Antonio that do plating if you want the numbers let me know it might be fairly cheap.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #18
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

you can also get a crankandstien for 69 bucks

Old 09-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #19
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I use a rotary tortilla press. It has 3" diameter slick aluminum rollers, noisy cast aluminum gears. I made a hopper out of wood that restrict flow to about 1/2 to take it ewasy on the castings, and a bucket top base. I drive it with a socket in my drill motor, about 1/2 speed. New, they are $89 on eBay. Or swap meet with a broken crank, $20. It has adjustable rollers too. It works so well, I think I'll spring for some new precision gears, prolly $30. The aluminum rollers won't rust. Rust will ruin beer by the batch.

It feeds better than the press I made from a 1 1/4 knurled weight lifter's bar, too small diameter, even knurled.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 09-12-2006, 02:59 AM   #20
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhead
you can also get a crankandstien for 69 bucks
But then I miss out on the fun of making my own. They look nice for the price for anyone reading this thread who doesn't want to machine their own parts.

EDIT: Just noticed - these are only 1.5 inch diameter by 4 inches long. I'm planning 2 inches in diameter and 12 inches long. (That sounds really bad...)

Quick Reply