Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Divorcing my plate chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

IME, a hop spider goes a long way to keeping a plate chiller clog-free. Also, Duda Diesel chillers seem to be less clog prone.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #12
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 128

And does the counter glow do good with large whole hop bills.

BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinstone View Post
This thing is nothing but trouble. Constant clogs as I recirc. Might be my fault but I am looking at spending some money to fix the issue so I figure I want to make sure I do it right. I was thinking of going with a b3 50 ft half inch whirlpool chiller. I also am able to use a sump to recirc ice water through the chiller. Will this thing handle 12 to 14 gallons. I have a 20 gallon megapot.

Also thought about a counter flow but if anyone has experience here let me know.

I understand that the problem could be remedied with the plat chiller........but I'm tired of that thing........it needs to go. Thanks
Went through the same crap with the Therminator. I'm not trying to persuade you in any way, just saying how i solved my problem. I built an IC from two 25 ft half inch copper coils in parallel. I use it as a reverse herms exchanger in a temp controlled mash tun, then rinse and drop it in the BK. It drops from boil to 70* in 15 min. (12 gal).Then switch to ice water and finish at 50* in about 10 min. It will also do step mashes which was a primary reason for making it. Just some food for thought. I recirculate the wort while cooling and wind up with trub and hops in a pile inside the inner circumference of the cooler. Cheers

Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #14
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinstone View Post
To slow pump you restrict pump inflow?
Restrict your pump outflow. Inflow should always be 100%. For whole hops, I would use a hop bag.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The cfc still needs to be filtered for whole hops. Here's my experience with just trying to drain without any sort of filter. A bazooka will work splendidly.

http://youtu.be/ZbPT06H2guo
http://youtu.be/6hWisfvMaxM
I really like the chilzilla/chillus convolutus.....keep in mind they have a helical internal tube, so if having unseen buildup bothers you, don't get one.

BUT, a 50' 1/2" chiller is a beast. It may take a minute longer than the other models (just as fast for 5 gal batches), but it has none of the difficulties.

Plates work very well, but they are high maintenance.

Quick Reply