Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Distance from Burner to Keggle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
Gauss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Distance from Burner to Keggle

Hi guys, I'm making a 3 tier system. I already have keggles I've been using and I bought 3 of these burners:

http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m=ThisP&p=30295.000000&l=1

I was wondering if anyone knew the best distance between the burner and keg. I think these burners are 170,000 BTU at 20 or 30 PSI, I can't imagine them pumping out that much heat at 10 PSI or less. So I would think with those high pressures I may need to keep some sizable space between the keg and burner.

Last time I brewed I was using a smaller rated burner, running at 10 PSI, and I had about 3.5" of space b/w the burner and keg, but that was as close as I could get it b/c of frame constraints.

Any idea what I should shoot for? I can always shorter the gap to some degree, but I'd rather build once and tweak as little as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Search for this in the forums. There have been a few good threads already.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #3
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Are you aware that you can buy JUST the burner of the KA4 Banjo Burner, for $25 ea., with FREE SHIPPING?

Of course, you'll still have to find out how close to mount them...and you'll need a hi-press reg...

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-BG14-Banjo-Burner/dp/B0009JXYTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 11-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Sounds like you already bought the burners you have. I have 2 banjos in my rig, and IMHO, they may be cool, but they're overkill. I never have to turn them up past 50%, so you could very easily go with a smaller burner and get the job done. The 170k burners will work great, and they are WAY easier to mount/shield. Stick with what you got, and try to keep the burner 4" from the bottom of the vessel. If you shield it properly, the burner will be way more efficient.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts

I agree that the burner he bought is perfectly acceptable. I use one on my turkey fryer and it can get a nice boil going pretty quickly. It's good enough for my needs, but I don't do 10 gallon batches.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:33 AM   #6
Gauss
Recipes 

Well I do ~13 gallons batches, so I've bought these burners to be able to heat water for the mash quickly and come to a boil afterwards in short time. 170,000 BTU/hour is way overkill, I agree. It's only ~20k BTU to bring 50 degree water to a boil, so assuming 40% efficiency of the burner and pot set up, that's only 20 minutes to a boil at full blast. I have variable regulator I will run with these burners so I should be able to tweak the power output easily.

For now I suppose I'll start by mounting them about 4 inches off the keggle bottoms, and I'll make up some shrouding to help the efficiency.

Quick Reply