Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Direct fire flasks from Brewmaster's Warehouse?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Direct fire flasks from Brewmaster's Warehouse?

Hi,

I was just wondering if it would be safe to boil my starter wort in my 2L flask I purchased from Brewmaster's Warehouse.

I have seen some flasks that state that you can put them on the stove and boil your starter wort in the flask and then put the flask in ice bath for cooling.

The 2L flask from brewmaster does not state that you can do this in their description. The description is pretty brief.

Are all erlenmeyer flasks created equal? or will mine break if I try to do this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have used both of my flasks purchased from Brewmasters Warehouse directly on the stove without incident at least a dozen times each. Even went from boil to cold water a few times.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

If it says "borosilicate" somewhere on the flask, it is made to withstand heat. If not, you're taking a bit of a risk by heating it (it may be borosilicate glass...or perhaps not).

Put it over a gentle flame or glass cooktop. A coiled electric element or turkey fryer burner may break the flask regardless of its composition.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Reelale
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

If it's a true erlenmeyer or Pyrex (Borosicilate) you should be able to. I've boiled mine on an electric element, with a wire trivet underneath, let it cool for a couple of minutes and then into ice water. No problems thus far.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

From Brewmaster's Warehouse's website:

"Flask is made from Borosilicate type glass, and can be directly transferred from heat to cold without cracking."

Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
SamuraiSquirrel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
From Brewmaster's Warehouse's website:

"Flask is made from Borosilicate type glass, and can be directly transferred from heat to cold without cracking."

Nice, thanks!

I didn't see that when I looked.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just saw the thread, thanks for the answers from everyone else. The flasks can be heated on a gas stove without any problems. As Yuri pointed out a turkey fryer or electric coil stove can cause the flasks to crack or even shatter.

Ed

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Quick Reply