Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Digital Thermometer Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
phatuna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Digital Thermometer Issues

I bought a $18 digital thermometer from Target the other day. The kind that is supposed to be used for a piece of meat in the oven. It has a temperature "stick" connected to a temp reading guage by a long wire.

It was great to be able to monitor my temps without opening the MT - I was holding mash temp 153F, right on!

As I was heating my sparge water, I needed a temp reading, so I pulled it out of my MT and put it into my hot water. It read 213 deg. F!! I knew this couldn't be correct as my water was not at a boil.

I put my old trusty floating thermometer in and it read 192.

I then put both the dig. and floating thermometers into my MT. The digi read 153 while the floating read 145. My attentuation was terrible! Not sure how to calculate how bad, but my OG was supposed to be 054 and I got 036 so I added a LOT of DME.

My conclusion is that technology is cool and all, but I will be going back to my floating thermometer...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You should be able to calibrate it, usually using ice and water. That might help.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 06-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post
You should be able to calibrate it, usually using ice and water. That might help.
Thanks James, I'll check the directions when I get home. It was one of those toys that I opened up, put in a battery, hit the ON button and considered it good to go.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I only trust a lab rod thermometer, but use Brewmometers on the keggles.

I always do a check with the lab rod. It has a small hole in one end and I twisted tag wires as a lanyard to help handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
rcrabb22

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

if you totally submerged the probe in water then your problems are not rare. I messed up 2 of these before I read other posts about the same issue.
Read this

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/remo...roofing-26905/

Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I had temperature problems on my last batch. I was brewing with my buddy, who spent two years sailing the Caribbean. He says that on a boat you want one of every piece of equipment or three. Never have two, as if they do not agree, you don't know what to do. If you have just one, you have to trust it. If you have three, then hopefully two will agree. I need another thermometer!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks Crabb, the thought never crossed my mind that these things weren't waterproof.

I'm sure that I submerged it, I'll see if I can re-calibrate then wort-proof it.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Do yourself a favor and chuck the cheapie now.. I went through 3 now I use a K-probe trace from Cole Palmer and a Thermopen

Read up about POS thermometers here clicky

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Do you still have the packaging? You need to check the ranges that this thermometer can handle. It is a meat thermometer after all.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
rcrabb22

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatuna View Post
Thanks Crabb, the thought never crossed my mind that these things weren't waterproof.

I'm sure that I submerged it, I'll see if I can re-calibrate then wort-proof it.
Same here. I wrecked the first one washing it. The 2nd was submerged in my kettle.

I recall some having luck drying the probe by baking it in an oven. Make sure to leave the plastic connector out of the oven

I can't remember exactly how hot the oven should be but I bet if you did around 250F for an hour or so then left it be for a day or 2 it might be ok.

You might want to search the forum and see what you can find

Quick Reply