The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > digital thermometer cool off alarms?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default digital thermometer cool off alarms?

Hi all, I just had a thought and wondered if anyone knows of a thermometer that has an alarm setting that triggers when you cool off to a certain temp.

I would like to preheat my cooler MLT with my strike water, set the thermo up and have it beep once it gets down to a preset temp. Mine only works the other way, telling me when I get up to a set temp.

I could then go do something else while my cooler warms up, and not have to worry about when to add the grain.

Lazy, I know....but convenient. Lol

Thanks!

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

This is a very common feature on BBQ thermometers. Here's one that includes a wireless monitor. (I don't know anything about this thermometer except that it came up when I searched Amazon and listed both over- and under-temp alarms)

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Therm...bq+thermometer

Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Thanks for the link! I searched, but apparently with the wrong key words. Mine is a cheapo, not surprised its lacking.

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Glad to help. There are a couple things I'm not sure about, though-- one is the temperature range. I suspect it's ok, but it's possible that the thermometer is intended for temperatures higher than typical brewing temps. The low end for BBQ is probably a bit high for mashing, so it's possible that the settings start at something like 180°.

The other is the resolution. One of the comments made it sound like it might be 5°, which may be too coarse. But I'm sure that a suitable thermometer exists somewhere.

Quick Reply