Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Digital Multimeter as a Thermometer - can I replace the probe with any Thermocouples?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
reverendnathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Digital Multimeter as a Thermometer - can I replace the probe with any Thermocouples?

I have this multimeter here, in which a thermometer probe connects to the COM and red line. I've had other thermometers over time, but this is pretty damn accurate, I think down to the degree. Unfortunately, I broke the included thermometer probe, and Extech, the manufacture, does not have a replacement.

I believe the item was a thermocouple, but the inputs were separated, like a voltage tester's two inputs are separated, and not together as one connected line, like a thermocouple probe's input. Does this mean buying a thermocouple probe will not work, and if so, am I SOL for a replacement thermometer probe?

Here is a picture for clarification:

Will a thermocouple probe connect to this multimeter? Does something like the thermometer probe I broke exist so I can just replace that?

EDIT: From the manual: "1. Insert the type K thermocouple probe into the Temp and COM jacks." So... does that mean this is indeed a thermocouple probe?

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
DaleP
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You need a type K thermocouple. There are other types.....

Old 05-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3724 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 3223

Easiest thing to do is find one of these

http://www.testpath.com/Categories/A...Plugs-7790.htm

It will allow you to stick a standard thermocouple probe into it. I'm guessing the correct metals are used to ensure no junction errors.

Or you could just get a thermocouple with pigtails, split and separate the wires, and attach them to banana jacks ( Radio Shack).

If you don't have thermocouples, you can just about anything you want at Omega (http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/section...ok=temperature).

Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendnathan View Post
EDIT: From the manual: "1. Insert the type K thermocouple probe into the Temp and COM jacks." So... does that mean this is indeed a thermocouple probe?
Your edit says it all! Every DMM I've used only reads type K thermocouples. Tons of sources for them, even McMaster sells some. Passedpawn is right, Omega has an awesome selection.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
reverendnathan
Recipes 

Cool, thanks for the responses! I am going to check Fry's today to see if they have them, if not I'll order online. Looks like the cheapest is Thermoworks has a 12$ probe.

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
cyclogenesis
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hmm... this makes me think I should just install thermocouples in my mashtun, HLT and kettle and leave some connectors for me to walk up and plug in my multimeter...

Drinking: Dogtoberfest, Autumn Harvest Amber, Fire in the Belly Imperial Stout.
Fermenting: V for Vienna, 2013 Bock.
In planning: TEA for two, First Flakes American Brown.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post
Hmm... this makes me think I should just install thermocouples in my mashtun, HLT and kettle and leave some connectors for me to walk up and plug in my multimeter...
This is my plan for my PC-controlled setup.
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This is interesting. I have a Sperry DM5300 that says it can use 'temperature adapter TA-1A' to measure from -50 to 1300 C. I haven't thoroughly searched yet but it appears to be a K type thermocouple adapter. Is anyone familiar with that type of add on to a multimeter? What setting would I use to read temp?

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
This is interesting. I have a Sperry DM5300 that says it can use 'temperature adapter TA-1A' to measure from -50 to 1300 C. I haven't thoroughly searched yet but it appears to be a K type thermocouple adapter. Is anyone familiar with that type of add on to a multimeter? What setting would I use to read temp?
There's usually a setting with a little picture of a bulb thermometer, or else there's a special mode on the DC mV setting.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #10
reverendnathan
Recipes 

OK, one last question: uhh... how much should I be paying for all this? Fry's wants 30$ for a FLUKE brand thermocouple with a banana plug, however the material specs say not to use it in a liquid application... so that sort of turns me off. I mean, this whole multimeter cost me 25$, it seems ridiculous to replace all of it with 30$ worth of equipment...

Quick Reply