Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Difficulty Lighting Banjo Burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
fighteroffoo03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Difficulty Lighting Banjo Burner

I recently purchased a banjo burner but am having trouble getting it to work. I am feeding it through a 20psi regulator (the one provided with it). When I try to light it, I get a quick flash and the flame quickly recedes back into the venturi. What am I doing wrong? I am using a regular kitchen match and holding it close above the burner while I slowly turn on the gas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
Natron008
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

unhook your burner, disconnect from the tank, then turn the tank on for a second or two, turn off, reconnect and try again. For some reason this seems to work for me.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Try using a butane bbq lighter. I use one every time with my Banjo.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by natron008 View Post
unhook your burner, disconnect from the tank, then turn the tank on for a second or two, turn off, reconnect and try again. For some reason this seems to work for me.
Yep. Always control the gas with your regulator. If you turn it off by closing the bottle valve and not the valve on the regulator, you will get something like a vapor lock which will screw things up.

Always use the valve on the regulator till you disconnect from the tank. This goes for propane lanterns too.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Yep. Always control the gas with your regulator. If you turn it off by closing the bottle valve and not the valve on the regulator, you will get something like a vapor lock which will screw things up.

Always use the valve on the regulator till you disconnect from the tank. This goes for propane lanterns too.
+1 on the vapor lock. I have one burner that is very prone to this. The remedy is to first make sure the regulator is all the way off. Then open the tank valve. Now WAIT 30 sec to 1 min. for the pressure in the line to equilibrate. This is an important step. Now open the regulator and light. Some times, you might have to disconnect the assembly and blead off any gas inside, and then start over. This is often more of a problem with a full propane tank.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 03-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I have had similar issues.

From what I have heard, the newer propane tanks have some kind of safety valve. If the gas is turned on too quickly, the valve trips and you only get a dribble of gas coming out. Turning the tank off for a bit resets the valve.

For my latest brew Monday, I left the tank valve on and used the valve on the hose to control the gas. I also turned the gas on and off slowly.

That seemed to work, the burner worked perfectly for the strike, sparge and boil burns.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Always turn off the regulator before opening the valve on the tank . They have detailed directions in the trouble shooting section for the bajo. Seems that if the tank is low it will make the OPD block the flow of propane to the burner

from Bayou classic depot

"Set air shutter to full closed position. Make certain regulator valve is turned clockwise to closed position. Open tank valve fully. Keeping face and hands away from cooker, set lighter over burner, open regulator valve 1/4 turn. Light the burner. After lighting burner, observe flame. With proper air/gas mixture, the flame should appear blue or clear. A yellow flame indicates too much gas. Carefully turn air control disc until the flame is blue or clear. Then SLOWLY open regulator valve until flame reaches desired level. S-L-O-W-L-Y!

troubleshooting

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply