Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Did they send me a propane burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Did they send me a propane burner

I have been using a pair of these 20 tip Natural gas burners for some time. Recently, I bought a third to direct fire my mash tun. On its inaugural brew, soot city. I thought it might be the ASCO valve choking it, but the other one on the same type of valve did fine. Does it look like I was I sent a propane burner by mistake?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
JRems
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would swap a known good burner to the valve that one is hooked up to, Just to rule out any other component. I think the jets just unscrew. Just screw in one of the other jets and see how the flame is then. You should becable to compare sizes of the holes in the jets as well.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
dcbc
Recipes 

Thanks. Will start testing.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts

Grab a numbered drill set and check the orifice size. Compare to the rated BTU and this chart

http://www.joppaglass.com/burner/lowp_chrt.html

Propane will run very rich if used on a natural orifice. That looks like what you've got.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Huff360
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff360 View Post
Propane will run very rich if used on a natural orifice. That looks like what you've got.

Sorry - I didn't read that good enough. Natural gas running on a propane orifice should be a very lean flame. Propane uses a much smaller orifice than natural for the same BTU rating. I would not expect to see any orange/yellow flame (which indicates a rich mixture).

It is not uncommon to "make" natural gas by mixing air into propane in jus tthe right ratio. Basically diluting the propane and running it through the same orifice as natural would normally be ran through.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
dcbc
Recipes 

The orifices look about right. If anything, they look a little larger than the ones on my other two burners. This is the middle burner and it has a couple of bends in the pipe before the burner to make the pump easier to access. At first, I thought it was the smaller diameter asco valve. But my other burner is doing just fine with the same asco valve reduction.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Huff360
Recipes 

If the orifices are right, then it's a gas flow issue. If you don't have enough flow coming out of the orifice, then the air intake ports won't 'suck' like they should and you end up rich.

It seems kinda backward that not enough fuel would make the jets run rich, but the system has to be pretty balanced or it doesn't perform right. Check and see if there might be some obstruction in the throat of the cast part of the burner. Either some casting slag from production or, as tends to happen around my part of the country, a dirt dobber has built himself a nest in there.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
dcbc
Recipes 

Okay, that makes total sense. I was on the phone with the plumber yesterday and we were scratching our heads as to how it could be running rich. Thanks. Fortunately, they put some big breakaway nuts in the middle of the plumbing. So I will be able to pull only the part that affects that burner rather than dismantling my entire system.

Quick Reply