Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Did I waste my money? Thermometer...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
lady_brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Did I waste my money? Thermometer...

So I was at walmart today and bought http://www.taylorusa.com/gourmet-dig...ter-timer.html ($20) after getting all excited about how great it would be to read temps with things sealed and what-not. Now I am sort-of thinking that maybe I should have ran that idea by somebody first. Any body see issues with using this for mash/ sparge temps etc?

I did see Bobby M's thread about waterproofing them, as getting the cord wet throws them off... any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

As you have already discovered, you need to waterproof it or otherwise take care to not get water inside the sheath. I use something similar and a separate timer. You have it combined in one item. Sounds like no problem IMHO.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

wallmart also sells a pretty good digital stick thermo for like 10 bucks...mine seems to work pretty well.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I had that same one. I waterproofed mine, but it still ended up crapping out after 3-4 batches. I replaced it with a bling-bling Thermapen, probably my best brewing-related purchase to date. I use that thing all the time, not just for brewing, and it's super fast and accurate. <3 Thermapen

Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 778 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 531

I have one similar. Mine has an temperature alarm. I loved it for heating strike and sparge water. I could set the alarm and not forget about checking and accidentaly overheat. I used a small spring clamp to hold the probe just in the water. I don't use it much now though because I built my electric MLT.

Do be careful about getting the probe wet! I mashed a batch at 135 once because I didn't realize it was off. I always take temps with several thermos now just to be sure.

Last edited by lschiavo; 02-20-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
lady_brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info... at some point I may get the really cool stuff, but for now I am just collecting the supplies needed for starting AG. Don't want to buy stuff that is cheap and doesn't work, but stuff that may have to be replaced is okay.

I thought about buying a back-up just in case as well... as we all know stuff can go wrong mid-brew and then you get stuck, or make one hour trips to try and get back on track in the middle of things...

Old 02-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_brewer View Post
Thanks for the info... at some point I may get the really cool stuff, but for now I am just collecting the supplies needed for starting AG. Don't want to buy stuff that is cheap and doesn't work, but stuff that may have to be replaced is okay.

I thought about buying a back-up just in case as well... as we all know stuff can go wrong mid-brew and then you get stuck, or make one hour trips to try and get back on track in the middle of things...
I have been doing AG for a few months now. I think I have 5 different thermos. They are all cheapos but it is nice to have a few to compare with. I seem to use the long meat thermos with the dial face most. I have a small hole drilled in all my pot lids and the lid on my MLT that makes it easy to move them around as needed.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
snazzy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have the same thermo and have been struggling with it lately. I have been using it to monitor my strike water and it beeps when I hit my temps. Well I go ahead and mash in just to find out that my glass floating thermo says I am 8 deg to hot. Crap, so I throw the probe to the digital in there and it is just right.

I have calibrated both of them before but the digital must have gotten wet (did not know to waterproof). Seeing this thread kind of explains the issue.

Anyone have any similar problems from not waterproofing? Any way to fix it or is it just toast?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I put my probe in the oven at 250 for 20 minutes (suggested here somewhere). Just keep the plastic plug out of the oven. Good as new after that.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
lady_brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The info with the therm does mention "drying it off" if it gets wet, but not sure if you can rescue it.

FYI the waterproofing thread is http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/remo...roofing-26905/.

Quick Reply