The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Did I Waste My Money on a Brand New CO2 Tank?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #31
DakotaPrerunner
Fortis et Egregius
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have always looked at the purchase of a cylinder (CO2, O2, Argon, .etc) as the entry fee to the club. Once you buy a tank just swap it out and never worry about hydro testing or waiting again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #32
shataway
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

If it makes you feel better, I have exchanged 2 new 5lbs cylinders for used.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #33
m_c_zero
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 181

I bought a brand new tank and took it to get it filled, exchanged it for a full tank that was only a couple months older than the one I had purchased. Most places have old tanks and new(er) tanks for exchange.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #34
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 196

If it matters to you, ask the exchange guy if they have a newer-looking tank to give you...most of the time they'll oblige....

again, on my list of things that need to get/stay clean, my kegerator tank is waaaay down on that list.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #35
bja
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts

Make sure you have a spare tank. It's horrible to run out of co2 on a Friday evening and have to wait til Monday to fill it.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #36
dog_gone
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I ran into a similar problem in Eugene: My kegerator (Costco) came with a shiny new CO2 tank. The first three gas distributors would only exchange. Being vain, I kept looking.

In the meantime, I went to a paintball supply store and bought a 20oz tank and an adapter that allowed the tank to fit my regulator. The first fill was free. Subsequent fills are $5. Afterall was said and done, the paintball tank and adapter cost me nearly as much as a new 5lb tank. Dang.

Nevertheless, I finally found a place in another city that was near my work that would refill a 5lb tank for $10. So, all is good. I have a new tank, plus a back-up. Now, if I could just find a back-up cheap dual regulator, I have a perfect way to force carb without messing with my kegs in the kegerator.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #37
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I own both of my tanks and I can paint my name on them, shine them up, whatever I want. I pay $1 a pound for fills while I wait. Hydro testing runs me $12 and it takes about 48 hours. I have two tanks so I don't miss it.
+1

Hydrostatic testing is cheap. I also know what was in my tanks and how they were treated. I wouldn’t want to buy a scuba tank that had air in it sitting for 4 years in a hot garage and, even though the tank was still to date, refill it and dive on it. I’d get it cleaned and retested even though the date on the tank said it was still good… better yet, I have my own.

How easy is it to exchange uncommon sized tanks (like a 20lb co2 or 80cf N)?? Also, the bigger your cylinder the better the value; I pay a dollar more to fill a 20lb than a 5lb and my fills run $15 while I wait 3 minutes.

The OP’s problem is there is no place to refill so the only alternative is exchange. If you can refill then I’d keep the cylinders.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #38
pjcampbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Out of curiosity, how much would most places charge for a "core" if you DON'T show up with a brand new tank? I have the same deal. All local places that I can find are exchange only.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #39
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcampbell View Post
Out of curiosity, how much would most places charge for a "core" if you DON'T show up with a brand new tank? I have the same deal. All local places that I can find are exchange only.
They don't charge anything. It would be an "in-kind" exchange (used for used). This would be the preferable way to get into an exchange (assuming you figure that a new tank is worth more than a used tank).

Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #40
pjcampbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What I meant is if you didn't have a core to return. The answer at my place was $70... so for $55 I was better trading in my shiny new tank than paying their fee. I gave up on trying to find a place to fill mine and took their used tank. It looks good enough. I am sure AirGas doesn't mess around with their tanks.

Quick Reply