Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Did I Waste My Money on a Brand New CO2 Tank?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
mpcluever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Having never tried to keep a tank, doesn't it have to go in for hydrostatic testing every few years anyway? Will they do THAT while you wait? I always assumed that no matter what that shiny new tank will have to get turned in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #22
Don3181
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I think hydro is done every 5 years for an aluminum tank. Longer for steal with a star stamped next to the date. one of the nice things about exchanges is that you don't need to worry about that.

Primary: Air
Kegged: Summer Ale. (SASA Clone, with lemon zest and grains of paradise)
Bottled: Theresa's Fury, Dry Irish Stout
(In champaigne bottles)

Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #23
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z View Post
Unfortunately for mikem2690 there is a big difference in his market (Maine) and your market (Las Vegas). I have been in industrial gas and welding business for over 20 years and there are not an abundance of distributors let alone ones with cylinder filling facilities in Maine. And even if they have a Co2 capabilities they most often don't have the personnel available to "fill while you wait".

mikem2690, my advice to you is if you want to keep our shiny new cylinder find a fire extinguisher service facility in your area. It's been my experience that most of them will fill while you wait, at a better price than most industrial gas distributor. If you strike out there find a paint ball shop and they may be able to fill you tank, but they are usually a bit pricy.

I found this facility relatively close to you:

Quality Fire Protection‎
15 Old South Road
South Berwick, ME 03908
(207) 384-6211
I've been all over the place in the Portland Maine area (gas distributor, fire extinguisher place), and the cheapest I've found is an exchange. Between that and the other intangibles associated with filling (why are they never open on weekends?!?, hydrostatic testing (although I haven't been there yet), having to wait (its never been a 2 minute affair for me...try 20-25 minutes))...exchange is the way to go, at least in this neck of the woods.

To the OP: lesson learned, the tanks I get in exchange look pretty new anyway. At the end of the day its a tank, right? Going to bounce around and get dinged up. Lives in the back of a refrigerator after all....

You could return or sell the new one and buy a used tank, but then that is more time out of your life. Suck it up and move on, if you ask me.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
mikem2690
Recipes 

Default Buying New CO2 Tank = Waste of $

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Unfortunately the answer to my question seems to be overall, Yes I did waste my money on a new co2 tank. After reading through the reply's, and looking at the pros an cons I have decided to just exchange my new tank for a filled used one. It's cheaper, takes less time, and I don't have to worry about getting it inspected. I am going to chalk it up as a lesson learned, and let this be a cautionary tale to any one looking to purchase a co2 tank. Here is what I got from your replies.

[Buying Used CO2 Tank Benifits]
Cheap, Can Exchange For a Full One For Less Money Than Having One Filled, Less Time Wasted Getting it Filled, Don't Have to Worry About Getting it Inspected, You Might Get Lucky and Exchange Ugly Used One For a Shiny Used One.

[Buying New CO2 Tank Benifits]
Shiny...Thats About It.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #25
broadbill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem2690 View Post
Thank you everyone for your feedback. Unfortunately the answer to my question seems to be overall, Yes I did waste my money on a new co2 tank. After reading through the reply's, and looking at the pros an cons I have decided to just exchange my new tank for a filled used one. It's cheaper, takes less time, and I don't have to worry about getting it inspected. I am going to chalk it up as a lesson learned, and let this be a cautionary tale to any one looking to purchase a co2 tank. Here is what I got from your replies.

Cheap, Can Exchange For a Full One For Less Money Than Having One Filled, Less Time Wasted Getting it Filled, Don't Have to Worry About Getting it Inspected, You Might Get Lucky and Exchange Ugly Used One For a Shiny Used One.

Shiny...Thats About It.
Was it much more than a used one cost? When I bought one not too long ago, the price differential wasn't that much. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it....

Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #26
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check with Maine Oxy. They may take your bottle as a 'buy in' to the system. If not, you could still do the buy in and use your bottle as a spare. Then you just need to find a drop which may be a NAPA, a welding shop, hardware store, etc. I do that with oxygen for cutting torches which is much easier than lease for my now limited use and use of propane over acetylene.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #27
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I own both of my tanks and I can paint my name on them, shine them up, whatever I want. I pay $1 a pound for fills while I wait. Hydro testing runs me $12 and it takes about 48 hours. I have two tanks so I don't miss it.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #28
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem2690 View Post

Shiny...Thats About It.
i think you end up paying for the tank with an exchange anyway in the form of a deposit. i could be wrong.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #29
Deric
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
my advice to you is if you want to keep our shiny new cylinder find a fire extinguisher service facility in your area. It's been my experience that most of them will fill while you wait, at a better price than most industrial gas distributor.
+1

In dog beers I've only had one.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #30
broadbill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I own both of my tanks and I can paint my name on them, shine them up, whatever I want. I pay $1 a pound for fills while I wait. Hydro testing runs me $12 and it takes about 48 hours. I have two tanks so I don't miss it.
$5 fill is the absolute lowest I've seen anyone pay for a fill. Most people think they are doing well at $12 a fill. Average is $16-20 based on what I've read.

Quick Reply