Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Did I Waste My Money on a Brand New CO2 Tank?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
mikem2690
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Did I Waste My Money on a Brand New CO2 Tank?

I bought everything I need to start kegging. Now all that's left to do is to fill up my co2 tank and get started. I bought my co2 tank brand new. I called my local gas supplies store and they told me that they can exchange my brand new tank for a full used one the same day, if I want to keep my brand new tank they can send it out to be filled and get it back for me to pick up in about a 1-2 weeks. Is there any benefit to owning a brand new co2 tank, or did I just waste my money?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i've been exchanging for years. the only benefit to buying and having it refilled is so you can have a nice shiny new-looking tank, as you're the only 1 using it. i don't care about all that

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 01-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
pmhildreth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldn't say you wasted money, perhaps lack of knowledge. I've exchanged tanks for years. Sometimes they're new, others are beat to crap. They all pass inspection for safety and usability though. Chock it up to lesson learned.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem2690 View Post
I bought everything I need to start kegging. Now all that's left to do is to fill up my co2 tank and get started. I bought my co2 tank brand new. I called my local gas supplies store and they told me that they can exchange my brand new tank for a full used one the same day, if I want to keep my brand new tank they can send it out to be filled and get it back for me to pick up in about a 1-2 weeks. Is there any benefit to owning a brand new co2 tank, or did I just waste my money?
That all depends on how much you paid for it and how much they charge for the one they would have provided you with if you had just bought it from them.
Kegged empty

Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
abarker8541
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Get it filled somewhere else.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Whoa, find another filler! I wouldn’t let my new bottle get exchanged! NO WAY! I’m cautious leaving my 80cf N tank overnight at my welding supply shop for a fill even though they swear it’ll be there in the morning (and it always is; good guys there).

If you bought the tank then you own it! Find a different filler and keep your brand new tank! Also, two weeks is unacceptable. To fill a Nitrogen tank is special; to fill a co2 is easy and can be done any time of the day in two minutes. Put some personal stickers on the tank so you know you're getting the same one back (or monitor the serial numbers...stickers are easier). I wouldn't accept an old used tank in exchange for a brand new one even if it passed inspection 20 times last year!

Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Paramecium
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

wow guess i'm lucky that the keg shop down the street fills it right when you come in. I've never had to wait more than about 2 mins for a fill on my tank that I bought brand new.

Primary~ Empty

Secondary~ Mosaic IPA

Kegged~

Ransack Port Oak Aged RIS

Blood Orange Hefe

Bonne Nuit Saison

Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1572 Times on 992 Posts
Likes Given: 2678

The only downside i see to owning is you need to have it pressure tested every 5 years, i forget 20 or 30 bucks and took the better part of a week

Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
picerjamo
Recipes 

They all pass inspection for safety and usability though. Chock it up to lesson learned.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by discooby View Post
Whoa, find another filler! I wouldn’t let my new bottle get exchanged! NO WAY! I’m cautious leaving my 80cf N tank overnight at my welding supply shop for a fill even though they swear it’ll be there in the morning (and it always is; good guys there).

If you bought the tank then you own it! Find a different filler and keep your brand new tank! Also, two weeks is unacceptable. To fill a Nitrogen tank is special; to fill a co2 is easy and can be done any time of the day in two minutes. Put some personal stickers on the tank so you know you're getting the same one back (or monitor the serial numbers...stickers are easier). I wouldn't accept an old used tank in exchange for a brand new one even if it passed inspection 20 times last year!
Unfortunately for mikem2690 there is a big difference in his market (Maine) and your market (Las Vegas). I have been in industrial gas and welding business for over 20 years and there are not an abundance of distributors let alone ones with cylinder filling facilities in Maine. And even if they have a Co2 capabilities they most often don't have the personnel available to "fill while you wait".

mikem2690, my advice to you is if you want to keep our shiny new cylinder find a fire extinguisher service facility in your area. It's been my experience that most of them will fill while you wait, at a better price than most industrial gas distributor. If you strike out there find a paint ball shop and they may be able to fill you tank, but they are usually a bit pricy.

I found this facility relatively close to you:

Quality Fire Protection‎
15 Old South Road
South Berwick, ME 03908
(207) 384-6211

Quick Reply