Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Did i screw up my carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
mlager
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Did i screw up my carboy?

I kegged a couple beers right before I left on a two week vacation. I thought it would be a good idea to throw some oxyclean into each glass carboy, and let them soak while I was gone. I left the carboys in my garage, which is currently pretty darn hot since I live in Scottsdale, AZ. When I returned, I went to go scrub them with my carboy brush, and the oxy clean seems to have done a great job of crusting onto the inside of the carboy, to the point the carboy brush does nothing. It looks like little particles of salt all over the inside. What are my options now? Bleach?

Any suggestions would be great, i know the grit comes off because i was able to use my finger to scrape it off the inside of the neck of the carboy, but that doesnt do me much good since i cant get my hands inside of it

Thx, Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

We call it scale, usually a week acid solution like vinegar and water, lemon juice and water, even a dillution of starsan and water usually breaks it down.

If that doesn't work, try clr....but if you mix a high concentration of lemon juice and water, it should take care of it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

now im guessing its do to you using tap water with your oxyclean, or would RO water and oxyclean yield the same effect?

-=Jason=-

Old 07-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
mlager
Recipes 

Revvy, thanks for the tips, I'm going to give that a try and see how it works. Doesn't sound like I ruined it, just made my life harder

Old 07-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Happens to me when I soak bottles in oxyclean to delabel them, and I forget them for awhile, as the water in the solution evaporates the oxyclean tends to harden and crystalize on glass. But it does come off.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Happens to me when I soak bottles in oxyclean to delabel them, and I forget them for awhile, as the water in the solution evaporates the oxyclean tends to harden and crystalize on glass. But it does come off.
Ever try ammonia/water to remove labels 1/2-1 cup to couple gallons.

Quick Reply