The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Dialing in Temperature Control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
wendelgee2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Dialing in Temperature Control

Hey folks,
I use a Sanyo 4912 as a fermentation chamber. Just started with it.
I noticed the other day that even though the fridge is set to 70* the sticky thermometer on the carboy says 74*.

Do you usually drop the fridge temp a bit when the yeast is just getting started? Say, 66 to try to hit 70 in the carboy? Do you then raise it later?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I tape the temperature probe to the side of the fermenter and set the controller where I want it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Do you usually drop the fridge temp a bit when the yeast is just getting started? Say, 66 to try to hit 70 in the carboy? Do you then raise it later?

I tape the temperature probe to the side of the fermenter and set the controller where I want it.
From what I've read on here, either put you temp controller at 60*-62* or tape your temp probe to the fermenter. The fermentation process heats up the wort by about 10*. This is info I've gottoen from here, I'm not sure which one I'll do. Luck - Dwain

Old 06-24-2009, 03:59 AM   #4
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2962 Times on 1878 Posts
Likes Given: 2507

He didn't say he had a temp controller. He might be just adjusting his fridge control. OG?

Yes, you want to try to keep the carboy at the yeast's optimal range. Since the fermentation creates heat (exothermic), the carboy will be many degrees warmer than it's surroundings. So, if you don't have a temp controller with a pendant sensor, you will want to just dial your fridge 5 degrees cooler than the desired temp until the bubbling subsides on the fermenter.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:58 AM   #5
wendelgee2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
He didn't say he had a temp controller. He might be just adjusting his fridge control. OG?
Sorry for being vague. Yes, I have a Johnson Controls analog temp controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Yes, you want to try to keep the carboy at the yeast's optimal range. Since the fermentation creates heat (exothermic), the carboy will be many degrees warmer than it's surroundings. So, if you don't have a temp controller with a pendant sensor, you will want to just dial your fridge 5 degrees cooler than the desired temp until the bubbling subsides on the fermenter.
I knew it was exothermic, but not how exothermic. I'll dial down 5* next time and see what happens.

Also, anybody have thoughts on whether to set the fridge thermostat at max or min? Or is it immaterial, since the external temp controller controls the temp anyway? Does setting it to max give you faster recovery time, and thus less variation, or would a min setting give you more gradual temp curves, thus not upsetting the yeast as much?

Thanks folks. Ya'll rock. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/rockin.gif

Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2962 Times on 1878 Posts
Likes Given: 2507

Set your fridge's temp controller to the coldest setting (max?)

Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The heat generation depends on the vigor of the fermentation and the individual strain. I think about 7ºF is about average for a healthy ferment. The best thing to do is to have a thermowell or tape the probe to the fermenter with some insulation on the outside.

Also, IMO 70º is a hot fermentation, I would bet you will be happier fermenting around 65º (for most ales). Try it on your next beer and see. At 70º, most ale yeasts will throw a lot of esters and phenols, it is cleaner at lower temps. Just another tool to be used. I ferment my raspberry weiss hot at around 72º to make a banana and bubblegum bomb that pairs well with the tart fruit.

Quick Reply