Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Dial thermometer issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
tedandlea
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dial thermometer issues

I had been using my dial thermometer for some time, and noticed that the boiling wort was always at 206F. So I got a couple new ones. The first gave a boiling point reading of 210F, somewhat better than my original, but when I checked the melting point, it came at 37F. The second new one gave a boiling point of 222F! But its melting point was right at 32F. Since I live only a few hundred feet above sea level, I would expect the true boiling point should be 212F and the melting point 32F.

Now, since I do all grain mashing, the rest temperature is very important (I want it to be 150 to 152F). My question is - Can I trust any of the thermometers at this in-between temperature? Or is there some way to calibrate them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go buy a lab thermometer. I don't trust the dial thermos when a couple degree difference matters.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I just bought one of those Blichmann weldless thermometers and it was dead on nuts.

Compared it to my long stemmed dial therm and it was off by 5 degrees. Tested my cheapo digital thermometer and it was within a degree of the Blichmann.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

This is completely normal for the bi-metal dial type thermometers. Seriously, I've had nothing but problems with them including a relatively expensive one. I gave up on them entirely and went the digital thermocouple route.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedandlea View Post
I had been using my dial thermometer for some time, and noticed that the boiling wort was always at 206F. So I got a couple new ones. The first gave a boiling point reading of 210F, somewhat better than my original, but when I checked the melting point, it came at 37F. The second new one gave a boiling point of 222F! But its melting point was right at 32F. Since I live only a few hundred feet above sea level, I would expect the true boiling point should be 212F and the melting point 32F.

Now, since I do all grain mashing, the rest temperature is very important (I want it to be 150 to 152F). My question is - Can I trust any of the thermometers at this in-between temperature? Or is there some way to calibrate them?
There should be a nut on the back side of the dial. Turn the nut, take reading, repeat until it reads 212

Old 11-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
There should be a nut on the back side of the dial. Turn the nut, take reading, repeat until it reads 212
Yes, then do the same at 32F, then go back and do it at 212F, then go back and do it again at 32F...rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
zymurgy101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
Yes, then do the same at 32F, then go back and do it at 212F, then go back and do it again at 32F...rinse and repeat ad infinitum.
Doubtful many boil kettle thermometers go to 32F.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had nothing but problems with thermometers. Out of 5 thermometers I used during various brews, none of them passed both the freeze and the boil test. I was lucky enough to get a thermapen for my birthday last October and have been nailing mash temps ever since.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I view installed dial thermometers as a ballparking tool and nothing more. They are generally slow to respond and only measure a small pocket of space in the vessel. I always spot check with an instant read digital before I do anything.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
redalert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't get me started on thermometers. I have at least 4 of them and all of them give different readings. I've been brewing for 2 years and still have yet to find a reliable one. Even though Thermapens are supposed to be the shiznitz it's hard to justify spending $100 on a thermometer. I just ordered a thermocuple from Ebay for a Craftsman multimiter which gives decent temps.

Quick Reply