Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Devil bacteria in Corny kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #41
Aloha_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I can see the weld between the cylinder and the top itself and I tried to clean it as best as I could, but I can only feel the weld where the dipsticks connect. I did clean them with brushes and with a soft scouring pad (the fibrous type of threaded material and not like a green scouring pad or steel wool). One of the kegs looked like a very odd looking weld but I couldn't see any major crevices that might harbor material.

Just extremely worn out that these beasties keep coming back...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #42
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you cleaned it that well it has to be getting contaminated prior to going into the keg. Maybe a gas line or gas disconnect is contaminated.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #43
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

i think the contamination is happening before the beer gets into that now "most sanitized keg in the world". you could test this by giving the keg to a buddy who brews and let him/her rack a beer into the keg and see what happens. when i had a brewhouse infection that kept popping up in all of my brews i threw nothing away. i took all of my plastic materials washed them, put them through a bleach water bath then rinsed. i did this twice in one day then let everything dry before putting it away. that was almost 2 yrs ago and since then i've been brewing clean and sour beer using the same equipment (including kegs which i've never replaced any of the gaskets or taken apart for cleaning of individual parts) and have never had a cross contamination.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #44
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
If you cleaned it that well it has to be getting contaminated prior to going into the keg. Maybe a gas line or gas disconnect is contaminated.
Even if the keg isn't being cleaned/sanitized that well, the transfer tubing and other things that contact the wort between primary and the keg are much more likely culprits than the kegs themselves.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 02-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #45
Redcat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can re-passivate stainless steel with Lemishine from Wal-Mart.

Lemishine is a citric acid used to clean the insides of dishwashers. I'm not sure what the mix would be for a corny keg, but I would take a look at that option.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #46
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Man.. all the talk of this cleaning makes me feel like I'm some chump in cleaning my kegs. I've never had a problem *knocks of wood*.

I empty a keg, and keep it in the keezer usually, unless I REALLY need the room for something waiting. When I have time, I'll degas it.

I rinse it all out with the water hose, get the cake out of the bottom and the hop debris from dry hopping in there.

I'll heat up the water kettle, and get some hot water in there, with the PBW. Shake it around.. Generally, there's nothing to scrub, so I don't bother. I'll wipe down the posts and clean the top of the keg when I remove the label of what it is.

Shake that, hit it with a tiny bit of gas. Will hook up my tap lines, and run them through with the PBW, to clean them, and the dip tube. Dump it, hit it with more hot plain water to flush. Repeat dispensing process.

Rinse it with cold water... Leave some in there, and add some star san.. Shake it around and let it sit.. run it through the dip tube via gas, and dump it all before I put more beer in there.

Seems simple enough, and no real issues.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #47
Aloha_Brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Man.. all the talk of this cleaning makes me feel like I'm some chump in cleaning my kegs. I've never had a problem *knocks of wood*.

I empty a keg, and keep it in the keezer usually, unless I REALLY need the room for something waiting. When I have time, I'll degas it.

I rinse it all out with the water hose, get the cake out of the bottom and the hop debris from dry hopping in there.

I'll heat up the water kettle, and get some hot water in there, with the PBW. Shake it around.. Generally, there's nothing to scrub, so I don't bother. I'll wipe down the posts and clean the top of the keg when I remove the label of what it is.

Shake that, hit it with a tiny bit of gas. Will hook up my tap lines, and run them through with the PBW, to clean them, and the dip tube. Dump it, hit it with more hot plain water to flush. Repeat dispensing process.

Rinse it with cold water... Leave some in there, and add some star san.. Shake it around and let it sit.. run it through the dip tube via gas, and dump it all before I put more beer in there.

Seems simple enough, and no real issues.
Ah, the good old days...

What's really killing me is the two out of three kegs. If it's a true problem outside of the kegs then it should have popped up in that last keg by now (more than six months and about 9 batches already!). I've shared the same sanitation practices with all three kegs and associated tubing. That's why I can only conclude that it is the kegs somehow that are the cause and replacing them the solution.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #48
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Any chance some beer back flowed into your co2 tank or regulator? And now it's dispensing some skanky co2?

Old 02-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #49
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
Any chance some beer back flowed into your co2 tank or regulator? And now it's dispensing some skanky co2?
That was my thought as well. I took apart some of my gas and beer disconnects and was startled to see crap even inside the gas disconnect. I just took them apart and boiled them.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #50
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha_Brew View Post
Ah, the good old days...

What's really killing me is the two out of three kegs. If it's a true problem outside of the kegs then it should have popped up in that last keg by now (more than six months and about 9 batches already!). I've shared the same sanitation practices with all three kegs and associated tubing. That's why I can only conclude that it is the kegs somehow that are the cause and replacing them the solution.
it is sound logic but whatever it is could have been present for a long time, getting knocked back periodically but always persisting. it would be interesting to see if another brewer would be able to rack a beer into that keg and not get an infection, that would truly tell the tale.

Quick Reply