Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Devil bacteria in Corny kegs
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #41
Aloha_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mililani, Hawaii
Posts: 90
Default

I can see the weld between the cylinder and the top itself and I tried to clean it as best as I could, but I can only feel the weld where the dipsticks connect. I did clean them with brushes and with a soft scouring pad (the fibrous type of threaded material and not like a green scouring pad or steel wool). One of the kegs looked like a very odd looking weld but I couldn't see any major crevices that might harbor material.

Just extremely worn out that these beasties keep coming back...

__________________
Aloha_Brew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #42
JRems
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 2,229
Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

If you cleaned it that well it has to be getting contaminated prior to going into the keg. Maybe a gas line or gas disconnect is contaminated.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Simcoe smells like 10 cats pissing on a pine tree. It's awesome.
JRems is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #43
eastoak
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: oakland, california
Posts: 3,242
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

i think the contamination is happening before the beer gets into that now "most sanitized keg in the world". you could test this by giving the keg to a buddy who brews and let him/her rack a beer into the keg and see what happens. when i had a brewhouse infection that kept popping up in all of my brews i threw nothing away. i took all of my plastic materials washed them, put them through a bleach water bath then rinsed. i did this twice in one day then let everything dry before putting it away. that was almost 2 yrs ago and since then i've been brewing clean and sour beer using the same equipment (including kegs which i've never replaced any of the gaskets or taken apart for cleaning of individual parts) and have never had a cross contamination.

__________________
eastoak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #44
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 17,170
Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
If you cleaned it that well it has to be getting contaminated prior to going into the keg. Maybe a gas line or gas disconnect is contaminated.
Even if the keg isn't being cleaned/sanitized that well, the transfer tubing and other things that contact the wort between primary and the keg are much more likely culprits than the kegs themselves.
__________________
Keezer Soze

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
JuanMoore is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #45
Redcat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 87
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

You can re-passivate stainless steel with Lemishine from Wal-Mart.

Lemishine is a citric acid used to clean the insides of dishwashers. I'm not sure what the mix would be for a corny keg, but I would take a look at that option.

__________________
Redcat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #46
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,613
Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Man.. all the talk of this cleaning makes me feel like I'm some chump in cleaning my kegs. I've never had a problem *knocks of wood*.

I empty a keg, and keep it in the keezer usually, unless I REALLY need the room for something waiting. When I have time, I'll degas it.

I rinse it all out with the water hose, get the cake out of the bottom and the hop debris from dry hopping in there.

I'll heat up the water kettle, and get some hot water in there, with the PBW. Shake it around.. Generally, there's nothing to scrub, so I don't bother. I'll wipe down the posts and clean the top of the keg when I remove the label of what it is.

Shake that, hit it with a tiny bit of gas. Will hook up my tap lines, and run them through with the PBW, to clean them, and the dip tube. Dump it, hit it with more hot plain water to flush. Repeat dispensing process.

Rinse it with cold water... Leave some in there, and add some star san.. Shake it around and let it sit.. run it through the dip tube via gas, and dump it all before I put more beer in there.

Seems simple enough, and no real issues.

__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #47
Aloha_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mililani, Hawaii
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Man.. all the talk of this cleaning makes me feel like I'm some chump in cleaning my kegs. I've never had a problem *knocks of wood*.

I empty a keg, and keep it in the keezer usually, unless I REALLY need the room for something waiting. When I have time, I'll degas it.

I rinse it all out with the water hose, get the cake out of the bottom and the hop debris from dry hopping in there.

I'll heat up the water kettle, and get some hot water in there, with the PBW. Shake it around.. Generally, there's nothing to scrub, so I don't bother. I'll wipe down the posts and clean the top of the keg when I remove the label of what it is.

Shake that, hit it with a tiny bit of gas. Will hook up my tap lines, and run them through with the PBW, to clean them, and the dip tube. Dump it, hit it with more hot plain water to flush. Repeat dispensing process.

Rinse it with cold water... Leave some in there, and add some star san.. Shake it around and let it sit.. run it through the dip tube via gas, and dump it all before I put more beer in there.

Seems simple enough, and no real issues.
Ah, the good old days...

What's really killing me is the two out of three kegs. If it's a true problem outside of the kegs then it should have popped up in that last keg by now (more than six months and about 9 batches already!). I've shared the same sanitation practices with all three kegs and associated tubing. That's why I can only conclude that it is the kegs somehow that are the cause and replacing them the solution.
__________________
Aloha_Brew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #48
scottland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 2,117
Liked 138 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Any chance some beer back flowed into your co2 tank or regulator? And now it's dispensing some skanky co2?

__________________
http://www.bertusbrewery.com/
scottland is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #49
JRems
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 2,229
Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
Any chance some beer back flowed into your co2 tank or regulator? And now it's dispensing some skanky co2?
That was my thought as well. I took apart some of my gas and beer disconnects and was startled to see crap even inside the gas disconnect. I just took them apart and boiled them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Simcoe smells like 10 cats pissing on a pine tree. It's awesome.
JRems is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #50
eastoak
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: oakland, california
Posts: 3,242
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha_Brew View Post
Ah, the good old days...

What's really killing me is the two out of three kegs. If it's a true problem outside of the kegs then it should have popped up in that last keg by now (more than six months and about 9 batches already!). I've shared the same sanitation practices with all three kegs and associated tubing. That's why I can only conclude that it is the kegs somehow that are the cause and replacing them the solution.
it is sound logic but whatever it is could have been present for a long time, getting knocked back periodically but always persisting. it would be interesting to see if another brewer would be able to rack a beer into that keg and not get an infection, that would truly tell the tale.
__________________
eastoak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - 1/2 bbl Kegs, Corny Kegs, glass carboys, possibly more... MrNate For Sale 26 06-21-2012 01:13 AM
Sanke kegs and Corny kegs CBBaron Bottling/Kegging 13 08-01-2011 03:06 PM
How big a chest freeze for mix of Corny kegs and commercial kegs? StunnedMonkey Bottling/Kegging 5 08-17-2008 06:55 PM
2nd All Grain Batch, Bacteria or No Bacteria Forrest All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 07-18-2007 08:58 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS