Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Dented better bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
Jezza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I assume we are talking plastic pet bottle's. In any event let me put you in the know about plastic bottles. Ever wonder why coke a cola or other soft drinks have a use by date.
One of the reasons is that the inside of the bottle is coated with a protected film.
Age , damage , and or dents, allow harmfull plastic chemicals to contaminate your beverage. Dents damage the protective film. I wouldn't advise anyone to use bottles that were damaged. eg.. notice when you bend plastic, the white that forms around the crease. That is a broken film that covers the outer layer of plastic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza
I assume we are talking plastic pet bottle's. In any event let me put you in the know about plastic bottles. Ever wonder why coke a cola or other soft drinks have a use by date.
One of the reasons is that the inside of the bottle is coated with a protected film.
Age , damage , and or dents, allow harmfull plastic chemicals to contaminate your beverage. Dents damage the protective film. I wouldn't advise anyone to use bottles that were damaged. eg.. notice when you bend plastic, the white that forms around the crease. That is a broken film that covers the outer layer of plastic.
I don't think that is the case with BetterBottles. I could be wrong but I think you are fine.

Now, quick, put some beer/wine/cider in there quick before it explodes.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza
They put expiration dates on practically any food product, whether it's in plastic, glass, or something else, so I am not inclined to believe that an expiration date alone is proof of what you claim about plastic.

And the white around creases? That is what most plastic does when you bend it, whether it's meant for drink containers, or any of the other million common household items made with plastic, even those that have nothing to do with food products and thus should have no reason to have some kind of coating, so I am also not inclined to buy this as proof of some kind of coating.

I am not inclined to paranoia, which is what your post sounds like, especially since you don't provide any references to back you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
I don't think that is the case with BetterBottles. I could be wrong but I think you are fine.
I agree... and besides, out of all the things in this world which might be out to kill me, plastic bottles are the least of my worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
Now, quick, put some beer/wine/cider in there quick before it explodes.
No worries there... There's currently 20 gallons of beer fermenting in my apartment... It's kind of scary, I had one better bottle and now I have three, and already 2 of them are filled and I'll probably be filling the other one before long, bumping it up to 25 gallons, not even counting the two partially-full kegs in the kegerator... I had to catch myself the other night and come back down to earth when I realized after just buying two more fermenters I already wanted more - when I don't even have enough kegs/bottles to handle what's currently fermenting

Old 08-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #14
Jezza
Recipes 

Checked out the better bottle site that Beerrific posted. Didn't mean to sound frightening, after all I use plastic PET bottles. You may find it interesting though to check out what they say. Go to tech support, Purity, then click on urban myths.
They go to some extreme to assure that PET plastic is safer than other plastics.
Well , they do gotta sell their product after all.

Quick Reply