Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Dented better bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 12:39 AM   #1
Funkenjaeger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Dented better bottle

Anyone ever had a better bottle get dented? I just had two show up at my door via UPS and the box looked like it had been dropped on a corner, and one of the BB's was dented on the bottom and side a bit. It's really not all that serious, it's not cracked or anything, and although it doesn't sit quite straight when empty, when I fill it with water the weight pushes it back close to normal shape, but it does have that "mangled" look to it. Currently I don't think it's really worth trying to go through a damage claims process with UPS, but we'll see.

Anyone ever had this happen, and manage to "fix" it a bit? I was thinking if I put hot water in it it might soften a little and when it cooled should retain its shape, but I know better bottles can melt pretty easily so I don't dare try anything hotter than tap water at present. In the mean time, I'm hoping that leaving it full of water for a while will cause it to gradually "learn" its normal shape again, but it's too soon to tell, so I figured I'd ask.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I melted one when I poured the last bit of wort into one. It warped. Didn't affect the effectiveness though.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 AM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Did you show the UPS guy when it arrived? I'd take a picture of the bottle & the box and send it to the place you bought it and ask them to take care of the issue. It could have been a packing issue as well. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Hair drier? Easier to control than water. Maybe rig up something to put 1-2 psi of CO2 in it as well.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-16-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Did you show the UPS guy when it arrived? I'd take a picture of the bottle & the box and send it to the place you bought it and ask them to take care of the issue. It could have been a packing issue as well. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.
I think I would do this too. I don't think just dropping it would do that. The shipper should be able to make a claim with UPS. No sense in you doing something to it that could f-it up worse and then not have them take it back.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 AM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
I think I would do this too. I don't think just dropping it would do that. The shipper should be able to make a claim with UPS. No sense in you doing something to it that could f-it up worse and then not have them take it back.
Yep, it's not his problem. It's the shipper's problem IMHO and a test to see what level of customer service they have. Doing anything to it will mess up the ability to return it.

The HBS should ship another one and send a return label with it. They would end up with a happy customer.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 08-16-2007, 01:26 AM   #7
Beerrific

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Yep, it's not his problem. It's the shipper's problem IMHO and a test to see what level of customer service they have. Doing anything to it will mess up the ability to return it.

The HBS should ship another one and send a return label with it. They would end up with a happy customer.
UPS insures all shipments up to $100 so it would cost them nothing. There is no reason not to return it or them to accept the return.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 AM   #8
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

We'll see. The UPS guy didn't show his face, he just left it at the door even though people were here to sign for it, I am guessing it might have had to do with the damage.

The place I ordered from is a very small establishment and even getting my order in the first place was a pretty slow and confusing process so I'm not sure how easy it would be to go through them to deal with this situation.

If I had to go to the trouble of shipping the thing back as part of the damage claims process, I think I would consider it not worth it, given the amount of time it would take me to do so (the nearest UPS depot is not close enough to make it very convenient, and I'm always at work during their business hours)

Old 08-16-2007, 02:12 AM   #9
Beerrific

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandude
We'll see. The UPS guy didn't show his face, he just left it at the door even though people were here to sign for it, I am guessing it might have had to do with the damage.

The place I ordered from is a very small establishment and even getting my order in the first place was a pretty slow and confusing process so I'm not sure how easy it would be to go through them to deal with this situation.

If I had to go to the trouble of shipping the thing back as part of the damage claims process, I think I would consider it not worth it, given the amount of time it would take me to do so (the nearest UPS depot is not close enough to make it very convenient, and I'm always at work during their business hours)
If they are good at what they do they should send one out as soon as UPS recieves the return package. And UPS should be able to do a home pickup.

But, whatever...it is your call.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:26 AM   #10
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Hrm, well, after letting it sit for a few hours with hot tap water in it, I just drained it, and it looks pretty good. Not quite as good as new, but probably 90-95%, so good enough. You can see the areas where it's slightly dented but overall it's back to its intended shape - it looks good enough that I couldn't (in good conscience) bother UPS and that HBS with the hassle of replacing it now.

Ah well, I'm satisfied enough, especially since I got the carboys at a very good price anyway.

Quick Reply