Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Decision Time - need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Unless you are moving soon, I'd get a 35-40 quart pot, a big grain bag and plan on doing mini-mashes. No stove will put out enough heat to boil a keg and I would be suspect about their ability to handle the weight. I've had such good results with mini-mashes and they are so much less work, that I rarely do AG any more.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2006, 01:30 AM   #12
psymn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a huge propane burner setup too. It's something I inherited when my neighbor moved. It could be for a turkey fryer, I just don't know.

I've been doing the mini-mash recipes from "beer captured" for a few months now, and I think I have the hang of it, BUT I know AG is more involved. I do the mashing in a 20qt pot and use a warm oven to keep it at the proper temperature. I also have a 7-gallon igloo water cooler that I planned to use as a mash tun.

Here's another issue I just thought of with the conical fermenter, it might take up more room in my lagering chest than i'd like. I have a 22 cubic foot upright freezer that can hold 5 kegs on the bottom and 3 carboys on top. The conical fermenter + stand might force me to remove the center shelf, leaving room for only one carboy/keg or I could just use the conical fermenter for ales and such.

BTW, besides not having to rack into secondary (better sanitation), what are the other benefits of a conical fermenter?

Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply