Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Dark Star Burner?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Thanks! Looks like any standard "turkey fryer" type burner. You can find them about this time of year with a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot for as low as $40.00 at your local big box stores. The only thing that differs is the stand the burner is mounted to and sometimes a timer/thermocouple safety module.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #12
apf87c
Recipes 

Hey All - i came across this thread looking for more info on the dark star burner. Plan on calling NB tomorrow and ordering one. I will let you know how it works.
For 40 bucks not a big loss if its terrible.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
smokenjoke
Recipes 

Called and tried to order. They don't have them in stock yet. Hopefully around the first of February. They are on a slow boat from China.

Last edited by smokenjoke; 01-09-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
MikeInMKE
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It looks like it's now available, at least from their web site:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/t...ar-burner.html

"Availability: In stock"

Funny how that goes. UPS just dropped off my Bayou Classic SQ14 this morning, for which I paid $45. I don't mind, I think the SQ14's burner, being more like a low-pressure mini-banjo than a high-pressure jet burner, will be worth the extra $5.

Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #15
brettg20
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInMKE View Post
UPS just dropped off my Bayou Classic SQ14 this morning, for which I paid $45. I don't mind, I think the SQ14's burner, being more like a low-pressure mini-banjo than a high-pressure jet burner, will be worth the extra $5.
I've had mine for over 5 years now, bought it at Home Depot if I remember correctly. Still going strong as when I bought it, and have brewed over 100 batches with it easily. Only thing I've had to replace is the gas hose about a yr ago. You will be happy you spent the extra $5

Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #16
Ma23456
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

so whats the final say on the dark star though... can it handle a keggle doing a 10 gallon batch?

Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
timmoore7
Recipes 

Here's the link to NB's site: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/t...ar-burner.html

Thoughts now that it's been released?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
MikeInMKE
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I talked with someone who tried one out. He said it'd be fine for partial-boil extract, but the boil was weak enough he didn't think it'd be able to boil 6.5G for all grain. Said he got a more vigorous boil using his kitchen's gas stove.

Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #19
macewank
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInMKE View Post
I talked with someone who tried one out. He said it'd be fine for partial-boil extract, but the boil was weak enough he didn't think it'd be able to boil 6.5G for all grain. Said he got a more vigorous boil using his kitchen's gas stove.
Really? I just picked one up, should ship tonight.. The comments you heard though seem to be a contradiction to the way NB is advertising it. 54,000 BTU doesn't seem like anything to shrug at, power wise.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #20
tx_shooter
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My father-in-law uses a very similar (his looks exactly the same as the NB burner) to deep fry his turkeys and do shrimp boils. I can say from experience that is has no problem bringing five gallons to a good boil. I have actually been debating setting one up for my hot liquor pot and having a traditional banjo for my wort pot. His cooker does not use a lot of propane; but dear Lord is it loud.

Quick Reply