Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Damaged False Bottom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Damaged False Bottom

How is this even possible? I've used this 7-8 times with up to a 50# grain bed. Noticed last brew is was slightly bent. Today was a brew day from hell. Kept getting a stuck sparge. I have a RIMS with a March pump. Grain was clogging up the system. We dumped the grain out and pulled out the false bottom. This is what we saw!!! It was not damaged when we put it in the pot. I can't for the life of me figure out how it got this damaged. I don't think I could damage it this bad if on stood on it!!!

fb1.jpg   fb2.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

What are you using as a mash paddle? and how rough were you?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
BrothOfVigor
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had something similar happen with a much smaller FB and smaller bill, but also a result of stuck drainage with a recirculating run. Seems that those pumps can put some serious suction pressure when you get plugged up. Gotta be very careful with the pump flow rate. In my experience, once your bed gets jammed up, don't even bother trying to continue recirculating, or this happens!

Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It is possible... like this.. the march can pump 17 ft of head so 7psi. If your pot is say 16" diameter the FB would have 200 square inches. 200 x 7 is 1400 pounds of down force.

People Like This 
Old 04-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #5
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Oh ya, it's possible. My false bottom like that only collapsed the sides, but both my roommates have completely crushed/inverted the domed false bottoms, one in the boil kettle with HOPS!!! I've since installed a sight gauge that's under the false bottom. You can see the level start dropping if I'm pumping and the grain bed is sticking. It's a great visual cue that you're stuck. Also, if it ever did stick to the point that it sucked the sight gauge dry, it would just suck in air through the sight gauge rather than collapse the false bottom.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
Poobah58

Recipes 

I had no idea my pump could create that much suction. I figured too much wort would slip around the impeller to cause that much of a problem. I'll have to beef up under the FB and install a vacuum gauge to keep an eye on things! BTW, my FB is 19-5/8" diameter. That's a lot of force!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah, it's a really non intuitive concept for sure. If it couldn't pull 7psi on the inlet, it wouldn't be able to push it 17 ft of head on the output. Just out of curiosity, what kind of tubing do you have between the MLT and the pump inlet? I'm surprised that it didn't collapse first.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 48

For me, I use the braided silicone hose, but my roommates all use the plain flimsy silicone hose that you can crush with your fingers. The way I've seen it explained is that the PSI in the hose is much less than the force being exerted on the false bottom.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
Poobah58

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Yeah, it's a really non intuitive concept for sure. If it couldn't pull 7psi on the inlet, it wouldn't be able to push it 17 ft of head on the output. Just out of curiosity, what kind of tubing do you have between the MLT and the pump inlet? I'm surprised that it didn't collapse first.
I have a manifold of threaded stainless pipe. There is a piece of thermoplastic tubing from the manifold to the pump inlet that is about 18" long.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 141

DAMN Poobah drive a truck on that thing or what? You have no idea how many times I have seen that happen to those fasle bottoms. Its really the reason I came up with my stands the way I did. B3 false bottoms kept failing on people. Its amazing how much vacuum is created under a false bottom when using a pump and how much pressure really is pushing/pulling down on it. Sure makes for a hard brewday man sorry to hear it. I think I would get ahold of the company you got it from and see if they will warranty it for you man, its worth a shot.

Dude I love your tagline! Makes me chuckle every time I see it...

Cheers
Jay

Quick Reply