New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > cutting top for keggle, $#?&*@@!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
Ol' Grog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default cutting top for keggle, $#?&*@@!!!!

There has just GOT to be a better way cutting the top of a keg for making a keggle. I've tried metal disc that go on the drill, metal blade on the jig saw and even one with titanium teeth, grind stones, you name it, I've about tried it. Has anybody tried something else that works? This sucks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
ducasir
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

We had a keg cutting party a month or two ago and we cut, 10 or so kegs.

Bi-Metal blade on a Sawzall worked fantastic. Just had to go slow to not snap the blade, but made a nice clean cut.

Second best was a angle grinder with the cutting disk on it. Had to grind off more once the initial cut was made to bring it to the nice line we scribed.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
DraconianHand
nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dremmel?

Ferminatin' - Route 666 Pale Ale

Figurin' to do - Oatmeal Stout, Gueuze, Belgian Blonde, Mild, English Pale Ale, Weizenbock

Old 03-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
jpuf
Recipes 

Try and get your hands on a plasma cutter. I Gerry rigged a compass setup and cut 2 nearly perfect circles in about 3 minutes. Its the way to go.
Good luck

Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Angle grinder and some patience. Take three or four passes around it carefully with a cutting disk. I've got an el-cheapo 4" Ryobi, worked great, didn't even go through one whole disk. Just DON'T try and cut all the way through on the first pass, keep moving around the circle slowly, I think I may have taken four passes before it cut all the way through.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Interesting. Snakebone is coming over tonight to cut some kegs. He has an angle grinder, I have a saw with bi-metal blades and a dremmel with the metal cutting quick-release that EdWort posted about.Now I'm wondering if Snake's angle grinder is the best bet.

In the absence of a plasma cutter, which do you think is best? Grinder, Dremmel, or saw?

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
JoeRags
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuf
Try and get your hands on a plasma cutter. I Gerry rigged a compass setup and cut 2 nearly perfect circles in about 3 minutes. Its the way to go.
Good luck

Took me all of 30 seconds with the plasma. My only quelm is that it was only a "couple sip project", rather than a "few beer project."

Dremel is out of the question... just wont have the power to cut thick stainless.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRags
Dremel is out of the question... just wont have the power to cut thick stainless.
Well, I know it's been done, I've seen pictures of kegs that have been cut with a Dremel. Seems like it's a suboptimal choice, though; if you can get someone to do it with plasma, that's ideal, but for me (and lots of folks) that's not an option.

The angle grinder, though, has proven to be worth every penny I spent on it. Just one of the cheap, $40 Ryobis, it's a huge timesaver for this kind of project.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
Blktre
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Angle grinder and some patience. Take three or four passes around it carefully with a cutting disk. I've got an el-cheapo 4" Ryobi, worked great, didn't even go through one whole disk. Just DON'T try and cut all the way through on the first pass, keep moving around the circle slowly, I think I may have taken four passes before it cut all the way through.
yup, same here. I can have a top cutoff using the $1.85 metal cutting wheel from HD. I can cut 2 lids off and maybe more w/ 1 wheel. Then a 7/8 hole in the bottom for a spigot in 15 min. and have a perfect circle for the lid.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
JoeRags
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Well, I know it's been done, I've seen pictures of kegs that have been cut with a Dremel. Seems like it's a suboptimal choice, though; if you can get someone to do it with plasma, that's ideal, but for me (and lots of folks) that's not an option.

The angle grinder, though, has proven to be worth every penny I spent on it. Just one of the cheap, $40 Ryobis, it's a huge timesaver for this kind of project.
Yea, if there's a will, there's a way. A Dremel will work, but its definatley my last resort for this type of job.

I'd say sawzall with a good blade, then if thats not available, angle grinder.

I lucked out... I dont own the plasma cutter, but have full access to one. Makes jobs like this a breeze.

Quick Reply