Originally Posted by cnbuds
nice work. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
I think it all started with fruit flies. I started using oxiclean after the first few bad ones because I had heard that you didn't need to scrub with it. After viewing the carboy in the sun and finding a scum inside I scrubbed the hell out of it, soaked it in bleach, and baked it. I did the same thing to the other carboy except did not bake it. This fixed the problem. I can tell you right now I will be doing these steps for a while until I'm sure the problem is gone for good. From then on it will be oxiclean, scrub, and starsan.
I was on the verge of quitting but with all of the support it kept me going. Thanks to everyone who helped as it made me very aware of my sanitation processes and helped fix my problem.