Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Critique my single tier pump plan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #21
JeffNYC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does the HLT need to be full to be effective for a HERMS? Is it just too slow if using sparge water (which one has to heat anyway) as the HERMS source?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2007, 03:44 AM   #22
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1061 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYC
Does the HLT need to be full to be effective for a HERMS? Is it just too slow if using sparge water (which one has to heat anyway) as the HERMS source?
I suppose you could make your wort coil larger in diamter/lower in height so it would stay submerged in the HLT water at lower volumes. You wouldn't want 2/3rds of the coil in open air.
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-27-2007, 04:10 AM   #23
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I suppose you could make your wort coil larger in diamter/lower in height so it would stay submerged in the HLT water at lower volumes. You wouldn't want 2/3rds of the coil in open air.
I think you could get away with 2/3rds of it in the open air if the water was at sparge temperature. 152F wort going through a coil into 170F sparge water - you don't need to have much of the coil submerged. You move the coils up or down into the sparge water tank depending if you are a bit high or low on your mash temp. I've been thinking of building something like this with rungs so I can move the coils up or down in increments based on the mash temp. I also thought of motorizing it with controllers, but first things first.
Primary:
--
Next Up: Bock
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand (Done), Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #24
JeffNYC
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bobby,

Any chance you are making a video of this project? Would be helpful to see how to put together the propane pipes, set up for the burners, and QDs...

Old 11-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I certainly will document it in video when I finally get off my ass and start cutting some metal.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 AM   #26
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What is you plan for a the stand itself? Im going down the road sometime soon too once i get my pump. I was going for something like this guys:
I like the low profile the most. I want to do the QD instead of his valve system. The ball valve being high on the mash tun to be able to monitor flow is a good idea. I also want to direct fire my mash tun. What did you end up doing for a false bottom?

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 11-28-2007, 12:55 AM   #27
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Right on Rob. Sparky, I got the brass ones from Mcmaster with silicone seals. $1.75 for the males, $7ish for the right angle females with hose barbs.
Could you post some part numbers. I am about ready to buy some QD's.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 11-28-2007, 01:01 AM   #28
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I kinda ended up with two threads with similar topics though I didn't intend to.
This thread was really more about the liquid flows and grew to more. I then had the "tres kegs" thread to talk about the fittings, brewstand etc... here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=44293

I do like the lowboy stand style which I plan to duplicate. I only intend to leave enough room under the burner for the CFC. I want to be able to stir the mash without bending over or getting on a step stool.

The MLT "filter" is still up for debate. I might try a large stainless braid first to see if I can get it to recirculate. I have my doubts but it's $8 instead of $40.

Disconnects:
Nipple with 1/2" MPT 6739K59
Female straight with 1/2" hose barb 6739K64
..same with an elbow (which I got) 6739K68

Old 12-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #29
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Making some progress. I've had a few different posts about various aspects of the build but I think I'll continue the whole progression in this one.

There was the "tres kegs" post here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=44293

Basically, here are the vessels:

The MLT will use a simple large diameter stainless braid fitted over a dip tube at least until it proves to NOT work with recirculated mashing.

I designed the stand in Google sketchup:

It's a good design as far as I can tell but making it a reality is much harder than drawing it. Cutting bedframe is a PIA. In fact all metal work is messy and it's something you can't appreciate by watching American Chopper. Here's the stand in its current state.

I have to do all the welding at my dad's house so I only brought it home to clean up my horrible welds. I've never welded in my life so making the metal stick together is my first goal, beauty comes second if ever.

Don't laugh or I'll just repost the pic of Biermuncher's beartrap keggle ;-)

Old 12-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #30
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did that take you two bedrrames?

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Quick Reply